Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
9,796 Posts
Marshal Kane said:
I, too, have replaced the nylon block in my friend's H&R. Was surprised to find that material used in an area that takes so much stress.

Been inside several of the H&R's...if yours hasn't busted that nylon block, it will. Design uses this shaped nylon block to supply the hammer rebound. Back of the hammer is shaped in a kind of a shallow, wide "V"...bolck fits into that "V"...bears on teh top while the hammer is being propelled forward, then transfers to the bottom to pull it back (rebound). Holds up pretty well, but nylon tends to get brittle with age.

The older ones have the same design, but use a metal block...they tend to break off the shaft rather than just crack. Go back farther and you'll fins som that ran without a block at all (the mainspring strut was longer, bent at the end, and shaped into a ball...the ltitle ball fit in a detent on the back of the hammer).

I have fixed them by making a new blck out of metal, drilling the block for the mainspring strut, and silver soldering it together. Have fixed others by making a new strut, ending in a ball (make it larger than the old style), and drilling the back of the ahmmer for a detent for that ball. If you make the ball end larger and with the detent placed right, will retain the rebound feature of the hammer.
-------
Long as I'm at it, there is one other place where the H&R's break. The hand is powered by a tiny flat spring that is attached to the hand. Diagnostic for this is that the revolver will revolve when pointed DOWN (gravity doing some of that spring's work)...occasionally revolve when pointed level...and won't revolve when pointed up.

Really is a part you should hunt up for replacement (usually the hand itself is pretty wron by the tine the spring breaks)...but if you just have to, can make a tiny spring and replace the busted one.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.