Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,655 Posts
I have an old Weaver 2.5X on mine. It has a five Minute Lee Dot. I am happy with it but it is not as bright as todays scopes.
I have a Simmons 1.5 - 5X that goes on and off of my Guide gun. It is a good scope.
I have a Weaver V3 on the .307.
As you can see I like smaller low power scopes. I shoot with both eyes open. For the Winchesters I have found that the Millett Angle Loc rings on Weaver bases save a lot of time and trouble. I have never had good luck with Redfield type bases on heavy kicking rifles. Access to a cheap columator helps get you on target quicker with the Winchesters.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
I am a Winchester Big Bore fan. But, the scope mount base holes are not set on the rifle exactly parallel to the bore. I believe they are angled slightly in favor of right handed shooters, being left handed I notice it.
Because of this some older scopes, Weavers in particular, do not have enough windage adjustment available to use Weaver rings. The Millett bases allow you to zero the adjustments on your scope and establish a basic bore sight using the rings for windage adjustments.
I have found the Milletts easy to use. Just turn out the left allen screw one turn and then open the right one for installation. The Winchesters require a columator or prisim for basic bore sighting. The Millets are small size but the handle recoil very well.
The .356 is not too hard on mounts and rings but the .444 Timber rifle will test them for sure!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.