Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am contemplating over the posit that the two calibers 223 and 308 both NATO rounds can be used to hunt virtually any creature in north america. Does anyone else want to chime in here? With those 2 calibers and a 12 gauge double barrel you truly could be set for life! Darn, so why do I have so many calibers and gauges?

And when you add in the fact that Any store you go to will have 223, 308 and 12 gauge-----why oh why do we bother with all the rest???

·
Registered
408 Posts
Because some do a better job for some hunts. For my personal needs the 223 & 308 will do well for 75% of my hunting and though I don't use them 75% of the time, I could. I do use both rounds.

But where I would limit my shots at Elk at 350yds & less (not because of trajectory, but killing power) with the 308, I will go 200yds further with a 300WM or .338WM in situations where I KNOW I can do the shot.

Also, I would rather use my 25-06AI for a windy day Coyote hunt than
the 223 for some of those cross field shots we get from time to time.
No doubt that same 25-06AI or my 264 is a better tool for the job for a WY. Mule Deer/Antelope hunt.

And that's what it boils down to, "tools for the job". If I have the option for a better tool, I'll take it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont know how easy it is to reload for 7.62x51 or 5.56x45, but that would be the key to your plan. With todays bullets both can take care of quite alot. T he shotgun might not be needed.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
zoar,

You forgot one rifle cartridge...........the lowely .22 LR. There's always compromise with anything but these will get you by with anything in North America including the big bears if you place your shots correctly and use a proper bullet.

CD

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Variety is the spice of American life and I, for one, am very grateful. Minimalist threads are interesting, but only up to a point. I could make do with just 3 or 4 guns, but I certainly hope it never comes to that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is true that it those calibers would cover most of hunting. However we have a tendency to want to be different, atleast I do. That was the main reasoning for me getting a .300wm instead of a 30-06, everyone has a 30-06 around here but no one I know has the .300wm. Matter of fact everyone telling me to get the 30-06 made me want the .300wm more, just my crazy way of thinking I guess. I think the need for different calibers will always be great due to people's need to be different.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
And when you add in the fact that Any store you go to will have 223, 308 and 12 gauge-----why oh why do we bother with all the rest???
Well, when Obama is done, it might be what we will all need to do.

Until then, I have as much interest in working and shooting different rifles and shotguns, as I do in hunting, so I'll stick with my modest collection of about 20 rifles, handguns, and shotguns. Like the six bows and 2dz fishing rods, I have them because I can :cool:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tman---Can we please do away with the stone throwing, the dissing and demeaning of President Obama?

Since Obama all the new gun legislation has favored more freedoms not less. Sure after this Tuscon tragedy we can expect a push for gun laws to change but THAT is coming from BOTH Republicans and Democrats and it is without a doubt a nonpartisan (albeit not totally) matter in the wake of that horrible tragedy. Otherwise the record shows there have all been mostly favorable gun laws passed since Jan 2009 when Obama got in office including the new law allowing pistols on Amtrak trains etc.

And Combat Diver you are absolutely correct I left out the 22 LR however I was thinking of it. My original post was from my blackberry--now that is a thing that should be "outlawed"... trying to type on that thing is a lesson in frustration and time consumption, (hahaha) but yes the 22 LR would be along with the 223 the 308 and the 12 gauge in my list of Pragmatic Guns/Rounds.

I have a bunch of guns in different calibers and it would be difficult for me to sell them and be left with the calibers listed however, from a practical standpoint and availability of ammo and yet especially function these rounds and the 12 gauge really could do virtually everything, and that is just something to ponder and yes discuss, and I enjoy the viewpoints on this subject.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I was only going to have 2 center fire rifles for all hunting in north America 223 and 308 wouldn't even be considered. Neither is the best round in its caliber.

This kind of question seems to come up a lot here, and for each one I probably pick different cartridges :D but i am sure that i have never picked those two cartridges.

For the high end I would go with a 7mm mag or better, probably an 8mm rem mag because it truly could take any game at any range I could shoot. And you can always load it for lower velocity/lower grain weight.

For the low end I would go with a 6mm rem/ 243 or maybe one of the many wonderful offerings in 25 caliber 25-06 comes to mind. They are all enough for deer and you can load them for lower velocity/lower grain weight.

In many areas it is illegal to hunt deer with a 223, meaning one of your two guns is a dedicated varmint gun to some people, 308 is a great cartridge but I would be hesitant to take it on a elk hunt in Colorado not because i don't think I could kill an elk with it but because It would cost me a great deal of money to get an elk tag, drive or fly up there and find a place to hunt, I would want enough gun that I could take whatever shot I got and be confident of humanly putting the animal down.

223/308 CAN kill any animal in north America, but its not about having just enough to get the job done, it's about having enough to know YOU can and will get the job done.

Now on the subject of riffle and ammo makers offering to many cartridges, I believe that many of the new cartridges are pointless, offering no advantage over established cartridges that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with owning them.

We have many cars and trucks in this country, and once you get past the marketing hype on them you realize that an f150 is going to do about the same thing as a Chevy 1500, but hey some of us like the car like ride in a Chevy while some of us prefer the slightly stiffer suspension in a ford, some of us want a 22mpg v8 some prefer the 30mpg v6, America is about Freedom and diversity.

I will probably never own a .223 WSSM, nor am i likely to own a 220 swift, or a 416 rigby, but there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to own all three!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can only talk on behalf of Australia, and so from that point of view, I hope you guys find it interesting. I have, amongst others, a 22RF, 223 and 308 and could happily hunt anything in Australia with them. I read in a magazine this week, that a guy went buffalo hunting in northern Australia with a 308, but he can have it. I spent six years at boarding school with a mate who lived in that part of the world, and from his stories, I think something like a 30-06 would be a much choice.

As for the 12G, I have one of those too which was my grandfathers, so it's for rabbits and foxes which are taken care of by the 22RF and 223.

The 223 and 308, I reload so I have a great variety of loads to use. No dramas!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Shooting irons are somewhat analogous to golf clubs. Remember the Kevin Costner movie, Tin CUp? He won a round of golf w/ just his putter on a bet. So you've got 2, too many guns.

Now we can argue about which one is "THE ONE"!;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I put forth the thread from the standpoint of what was possible. In other words IF you had a 223, 308, 12 gauge, 22"r ------it is definitely possible to hunt all game for either scenario: if you do not handload (since these calibers are abundant) and if you handload you can make these calibers excel! Now is my original post more clear? I am saying from Both the non handloader and from the handloader standpoint these four caliber/gauges can do it all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with what you have said. I think you could do with out the 223 but having a varmint rifle is not a bad ideal.

If I had to limit all long guns to just a few rounds you have made the best choice IMHO.

That said my 35 Rem out to 150 or 200 yds it will do anything the 308 will and then there is the 444 and well I guess this is what started the thread.:):):)

Kevin

·
Registered
408 Posts
I guess I put forth the thread from the standpoint of what was possible. In other words IF you had a 223, 308, 12 gauge, 22"r ------it is definitely possible to hunt all game for either scenario: if you do not handload (since these calibers are abundant) and if you handload you can make these calibers excel! Now is my original post more clear? I am saying from Both the non handloader and from the handloader standpoint these four caliber/gauges can do it all.
If you want to do it, then do it!!

I think I'll stick to the better tool for the job viewpoint. it has served me well so far.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Perhaps you would be better understood if you said, "In addition to all the other guns and cartridges you have, these 4 would be the most useful if commercial ammo production became very limited." Something along those lines might be more well-received.

I have all four, but I'm sure enough glad those aren't the only guns in the safe. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts