Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story, but I own a 30-30 336C from 1980 or 1981. My first rifle. While I ran around the country--getting married, going to school, etc.--I loaned it to a relative who had a coyote problem. The rifle reportedly performed well, and, to show his gratitude, he stored it in the trunk of a car parked outside. When I came home and retrieved her, it had slight rust in the bore. Still shoots admirably, but I'd like to refurb her, maybe with a new barrel.

My first choice is a 7-30 Waters, but I simply can't find one. Now, I'm considering reboring it to 35 Rem. Anyone made this change on their 336?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I don't think it will work. The 35 Rem is a bit smaller in head and body diameter than the 30-30 case. A rebore to 356 Win or to a 375 Win would make a great conversion. Several shops make that conversion.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,718 Posts
The rim may be smaller, but the 35 Rem body is bigger. Not sure how it would feed.... ?

Have you considered lapping the bore? It may shoot, even if a bit 'ugly.' Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts

I don't think it will work. The 35 Rem is a bit smaller in head and body diameter than the 30-30 case. A rebore to 356 Win or to a 375 Win would make a great conversion. Several shops make that conversion.
+1 ! I own both the .356 in a 336ER and a Marlin M.375 and both are excellent cartridges and rifles. The .375 is a bit easier to find loaded ammo that's also decently priced. Take a look at Stars and Stripes ammunition and Wisconsin Cartridge (.com) for decently priced loads in .375 Win. Also, for what it's worth, Buffalo Bore's high octane 38-55 loading is also approved for use in any rifle chambered in .375 Win. Of course the 38-55 is another alternative for your choice.

Here's a place to check into for reboring your 336:

http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
First Try cleaning the bore . Our model ninty four was loaned out and there was some rust in the bore having been put away wet .
I ran some patch's through it and let it soak , then cleaned the bore . then ran some 170 gr cast loads loads and it seems to solve the problem . It shoots fine .
Yes you could replace the barrel or bore it out to a 35 Rem/ 356/38/55 or 375, but then too the bolt head will need some attention as the 30/30 /356 and 375 have the same shell holder .
Try cleaning the barrel first .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been scrubbing on this barrel off & on for two weeks. Still getting junk out of it. By shining a light from the action end, I still see gunk about 1"-2" in front of the chamber. Thinking of taking a bronze brush and Hoppe's #9 and just scrubbing back & forth in that area. The "junk" seems to be mainly lead slivers with some copper mixed in. The gun has shot both jacketed and cast bullets.

I have used Sweet's, J&B, Hoppe's copper solvent and regular Hoppe's. Brushes, wet patches and dry patches. It's one fouled barrel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Been scrubbing on this barrel off & on for two weeks. Still getting junk out of it. By shining a light from the action end, I still see gunk about 1"-2" in front of the chamber. Thinking of taking a bronze brush and Hoppe's #9 and just scrubbing back & forth in that area. The "junk" seems to be mainly lead slivers with some copper mixed in. The gun has shot both jacketed and cast bullets.

DON'T just scrub that area with a bronze brush. A brush is meant to be pushed all the way through and then back. Changing direction in the bore may cause "brush cutting" because the bristles have to go back "over center". If you feel that you must just scub that area, try a bristle brush, or jag with patch wrapped with bronze wool, or parts of a Chore Boy (copper) scouring pad. Likewise, scrubbing the area with a snug patch wetted with solvent and some fine lapping compound should help, but don't get too aggressive.

I'm working with a Turkish Mauser that had years of accumulated crud in multiples of layers. I used Hoppes #9 and Hoppes Benchrest, JB bore cleaner and even some old LBT bore lap mixed with JB. When I felt it was clean, the bottoms of the grooves looked like they had been sandblasted. The bore still looked dark,amd the lands obviously worn, but at least it was clean. I've been shooting cast bullets through it and it appears promising. One particular load drills dime sized groups at 50 yards with iron sights....

If your barrel still shoots well, don't replace it unless its so ugly that you just can't live with it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Shoot it , clean it ( I use shooters choice copper cleaner , followed by Hoppies # 9 ) . Repeat as necessary .

If it shoots good , do not worry about it .

Might fire lap it , but I know next to nothing about fire lapping . Just read a little about it .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts