Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an inner stop ring lapping fixtrue the locates on the threads.
I also made a  mandrel for turning the reciver that locates on the inner stop ring.
After lapping the inner and then turning off the face of the large ring, the inner and outer stop rings are as parrallel as I can measure with a depth mike.

Should I have lapped the bolt lugs or bolt face first?

Can a Turkish Mauser bolt be sleeved?
TIA

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Clark....I think you set up the Mauser right. This method pays off. Unfortunately, many modern smiths fail to fully seat the barrel back against this ring. The lugs should be lapped now to insure both are engaged the same. Watch the third lug as some were quite close. You may have to adjust the relationship on the sear and notch on the striker.
James

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Clark

What did you mean by sleeving a Turkish Mauser bolt, and which Turkish, an 1888 or 1898?  Clarify these and we will try to help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant 1898 Mauser.
Big5 sells 1938 Turks for $50 and VZ24s for $69.
It seems like I buy one every time I drive by:)

By sleeve I meant to increase the reciever bolt bore and put a sleeve on the outside of the bolt body, all for a tighter fit. They do it on Rem 700s, but I don't know if it is possible on 98 Mausers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K.
I ran into a gunsmith who builds benchrest rifles primarily.
He will not work on Mauser actions, but Remington 700 actions should require the same order of work.
He says that the the bolt bore of the reciever is the starting point.
1) chase the reciver threads with a fixture that is an 8 bolt spider.  The bolt bore gets a spud that is used to indicate in the reciver.
The things that are then referenced to that bore:
1) Reaming the bolt bore itself
2) true the face of the reciver
3) chase the reciver threads
4) lap bolt lugs
5) true bolt face

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I did it.
I lapped the bolt to lugs by locating bolt at the top of the reciever bore.
I lapped the inner stop ring loced by the threads.
I lapped the bolt face located to the inner stop ring.
I faced off the reciever located on the bore of the reciever.

I then took a depth mike and measred the distance from the inner stop ring to the reciver face, and the are the same ditance all the way around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts