Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl friend put her first three 40grain Hornady V-max .22-250 rounds into a dime size area at 100 yds yesterday with my Heavy Barrel Encore. At this point she announced she was done and challenged me to do the same, which of course I failed to do! I am not sure whether I should be proud of her, ashamed, or the thrilled with the rifle which I have customized quite a bit!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
My 2nd ex, [105lbs soaking-wet] shot 6 rds of full-house .44mag from a S&W 29 (open sights) into 1" at 50yds at a military range. 32 GIs saw her do it. 32 GIs put their targets @50yds and tried w/rifles and pistols of all calibers to beat it. 32 GIs went home pissed that they got out-shot by a smokin' hot babe in a little red dress. I love women, and I love guns. When you see something like this, where two passions mesh so wonderfully, you gotta love 'em both that much more! FWIW....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
When my wife and I first got together , she could shoot her shot gun , but her rifle shooting was more minute of barn door.
Well with a few pointers , I got her a 22, then a 6.5x55, then a 357 lever .With a bit of support , she learned to shoot a rifle , then went on to a 3006.
Well now, she can always outshoot the teacher .
She has also mastered the 300WM I have . So be poud.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well ain't that a kick in the pants?? :D

And, you know, she ain't EVER gonna let you live it down. She will tell EVERYBODY.

I guess, be happy she shoots with you. :eek:

·
Registered
583 Posts
3 shots. Tell her to put some more down range. what your lady probably knows is that this was very lucky and that as the number of shots she takes increases the results will approach her true ability. just be preparied for the possibility that she gets even better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Alot of women can shoot very well. I challenged my wife to hit small steel plates at 40 yds with one of my 22lr. I gave her 7 shots and told her if she could hit it once I would do what she wanted. If she missd, she had to do what I wanted. She hit it on each of the first 4 shots and then smiled and gave me my gun back. That was the last time I tried that.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I think a lot of ladies shoot well because they have no reason to worry about whether or not they will. Some guys, maybe a LOT of guys, feel it is a failure of their manhood if they don't shoot a sub-MOA group or bang the gong at 300 yards. Women don't think like that...they just follow whatever instruction they've learned and do their best, with little consideration if they don't do particularly well. For many, this leads to a good deal of success.

My wife has not shot 1/100th of the rounds I have, but when she shoots a scoped rifle, her groups are often just as good, and yes...sometimes better, than mine. The difference is, it actually matters, to me! She really couldn't care less if her group is 1.8", or .800"...game can only get just so dead and she has no plans to shoot at 300 yards, anyway. The expectations she has of herself are less, so she feels little, if any, "pressure". Sometimes, I really think she's onto something!

She likes being praised for shooting well, but relatively speaking, it means less to her than if I said the cake she decorated looks really good. I'm very proud of how accomplished she's becoming as an outdoors-woman, but I understand that shooting tight groups will never be all that important to her, as a part of her choice to be a hunter. In some ways, I'm glad that she's better at it than she realizes...she never rubs it in when she shoots better than me. :)

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,212 Posts
A mate handed my missus his 1911 and told her to have a go. She out shot him, handily, so I don't think you want to come in the house unannounced if she's there by herself. :D She knows where mine is and how to load it.

I've never challenged the missus to a shooting contest. I know better.

RJ

·
Registered
144 Posts
don't worry I'm sure she will only tell all of your friends lol, who I'm sure will forget it soon...

·
Registered
459 Posts
A woman has all the skills to be a better shot at benchrest type shooting with the lower recoil type guns mostly.
Low muscle tremmor , lower heart thump, more patience , softer touch on the trigger , less hand shake .

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I was proud of her because the last time she shot a rifle, she dropped a deer at 80 yards in its tracks, and the Nikon on my .30-06 dropped her! So I started her out with the 22-250 which she shot lights out. Then we progressed to the .308, youth loads first, then fully leaded ones. She had no problems at all. I managed to keep my groups even with her with the .308:)

·
Banned
18 Posts
Bird Dog II ,
It has been proven that women have better attention spans than men. It was also proven that this is the reason why they will usually shoot better than men.

This info is top secret and if women found out about this , it could mean the end of the male race....

·
Banned
397 Posts
Hey Bird Dog,
Let her shoot as much as we do, and she will
develope a flinch, and shoot just as badly as we do.

Zeke

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Bird Dog,
Let her shoot as much as we do, and she will
develope a flinch, and shoot just as badly as we do.

Zeke
Don't bet on it - at least don't bet your gun on it! I taught a co-worker how to shoot, the prize being the gun we were shooting. She REQUESTED the hardest-kicking thing I had to learn on. After three sessions I had to drop the "outshoot me it's yours" rule, or lose my 375 H&H to a smart-alecky 110lb girl, who (apparently) never knew enough to flinch! She bought her OWN deer rifle. She brags on the deal she got. Seems nobody wanted a .375 H&H Sako to deer hunt in GA - except her. She only shoots maybe 10 or 15 rds from various positions (mostly off-hand since I told her that was hardest) before the season starts. Five years, ten deer with ten shots. And if you're going to flinch, a Sako (with cast-off in the stock) will get you to. She wants to teach her husband how to shoot, but he refuses to try her rifle. She told him it's nothing near as bad as child-birth, but he still isn't having any....

For myself, it seems that the more I shoot, the better I shoot. If I go several months without shooting one of my "snot guns", it takes a few rounds to settle-in and do good work. FWIW....

["snot gun" = shoot once, take rag from pocket and wipe snot from scope, bbl and stock where recoil flung it]

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't bet on it - at least don't bet your gun on it! I taught a co-worker how to shoot, the prize being the gun we were shooting. She REQUESTED the hardest-kicking thing I had to learn on. After three sessions I had to drop the "outshoot me it's yours" rule, or lose my 375 H&H to a smart-alecky 110lb girl, who (apparently) never knew enough to flinch! She bought her OWN deer rifle. She brags on the deal she got. Seems nobody wanted a .375 H&H Sako to deer hunt in GA - except her. She only shoots maybe 10 or 15 rds from various positions (mostly off-hand since I told her that was hardest) before the season starts. Five years, ten deer with ten shots. And if you're going to flinch, a Sako (with cast-off in the stock) will get you to. She wants to teach her husband how to shoot, but he refuses to try her rifle. She told him it's nothing near as bad as child-birth, but he still isn't having any....
That reminds me a bit of my sweetie. When I suggested this year she use a lighter caliber than the .30-06 (after she busted the bridge of her nose last fall) she was offended. "I was just stupid and inexperienced, it is not the gun's fault. I like that gun." It is a beautiful Walnut FW Model 70 so who could blame her? Anyway she was **** bent on using it again this year just to prove a point. I think I have her talked into using the .308 on the basis of it being nearly equal to the .30-06 anyway. With the Hogue stock, which absorbs recoil very well, it is a more pleasant gun to shoot. I have a 7-08 now as well but have not shot it yet.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It seems that with less muscle mass and slower respiratory rate any female has the potential to out-shoot any man once she masters the recoil. HD1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts