Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I read about a fellow who was cryo-treating Marlin 1895 45.70's...he also would strip off about a 10th of an inch of wood off the entire stock and overmold it with a black rubber compound. Additionally a 4 round slot was milled into the top of butt stock for holding extra shells.

Anybody have an idea who this was and how to contact?

Thanks,
Geezer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack,

Well I certainly didn't expect a response that fast. Thank you very much...I was kickin' myself for throwing away the Guns&Ammo article on Jim a few years back...thinking I'd probably not get around to buying an 1895. Have you heard anything about Mr. Brockman's work?

Geezer

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Geezer:
   I've never dealt with them myself, but I've heard some good things about them and nothing bad.  Maybe some others here had Brockman do a gun or two.

My old .35 Remington is a bit heavy on the trigger and needs a better front sight, but I hit an empty shaving cream can 5 out of 6 times yesterday, offhand at 27 yards.   That's good enough for me.  

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
To my knowledge Brockman's do not do rubberized stocks, they do offer a laminate stock. If you do happen to find out that they offer stock options beyond the laminate please post the information. Brockman's are notoriously slow for answering email so you may have to call them. I have been hoping to get an unstained stock from them without the recoil pad and hopefully save some money. Their laminate stocks cost $275.00. Wild West Guns offers a synthetic stock. I believe it runs around $300.00.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Well, it sure could be, but it's not promoted on their website. I would be interested in one if it exists, or in another option. I bought a stock extender for the buttstock from Pachmayr but I find the Marlin forearm to be too thick and stubby-feeling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jack, et al:

The website you gave me for Brockman's (www.brockmansrifles.com) indicates that they indeed still do the rubberizing. In fact they show a photo of a 1895 with the black overmolding...they just call it "non-slip rubber" and it is applied over your stock.. stock.

I don't recall a price associated with this work, I believe it was lumped in with one of their customization packages.

Regards,
Geezer

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Thanks, Geezer. I was on that website many times and somehow missed it. Perhaps someone who has had it done will post a report.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
I went back to the site and realized I had seen the epoxy finish listed before. It's about $135.00. But, I would like to see one before I had it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll probably take the plunge sight unseen, likely get them to do a few things....sights, bead blasting, the epoxy coating and the butt stock shell holder. I'll let you know how it turns out, it'll probably be a couple months before I get around to it though.

On another note, I thought I saw some traffic discussing the possibility of putting .45 Colts through a .45-70 by adding some kind of chamber insert....any thoughts on that one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts