Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came from another forum (Handloads.com) where there was a thread about what kind of paper to use as an over primer wad.
This idea is new to me. (I have posted a similar note in that thread but would like to get as much info as possible, hence, this post.).
The idea, evidently, is to keep powder kernels from entering the primer flash hole without softening the spark.
Why would we want to do this? What is the rationale? I'm supposing that this is done to increase consistency and accuracy but it seems like a lot of work for.....how much gain?
I have never heard of this. Is it a new idea? Old?
Pete

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pete,
For years people have been trying ew things to improve accuracy..I suppose they will continue util the end of time...Paul Matthews has experminted with this as well...I tried it with no big inprovement...I have even tried aluminum foil over the primer..When setting the primer the primer itsself will cut the foil...As far as I know tis concept is to keep the grains of powder from getting on the primer as you mentioned...Some think it helps to control the flame from the primer...One guy even tried a small tube in the case so the front of the powder would ignite first...Like I said,the trials and errors will forever continue...Some have tried different size flash holes and pistol primers...With the smaller flash holes they were experminting with small rifle primers...It is endless.....Ihave always thought the difference in powder compression was the secret...Maybe you will be the one to stumble on the majic method...Good luck and be safe....John

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a small tube in the case so the front of the powder would ignite first
Yeah, I am familiar with front ignition tubes. I have tried them. They work to a degree but are a lot of work to make and require a special decapping pin, so they are more work to load.
Pete

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I just came from another forum (Handloads.com) where there was a thread about what kind of paper to use as an over primer wad.
This idea is new to me. (I have posted a similar note in that thread but would like to get as much info as possible, hence, this post.).
The idea, evidently, is to keep powder kernels from entering the primer flash hole without softening the spark.
Why would we want to do this? What is the rationale? I'm supposing that this is done to increase consistency and accuracy but it seems like a lot of work for.....how much gain?
I have never heard of this. Is it a new idea? Old?
Pete
I'm not a black powder enthusiast but I stumbled in here and saw this. Isn't this the reason that shotshell primers are "battery cup" design? It's my understanding that they are designed to keep grains of powder out of the primer.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Bulletmaker is exactly right.
Some people use the paper to keep the powder out of the primer hole and to make more consistent ignition by keeping the primer from flashing as far into the powder column.
You may want to try it if you are not getting consistent performance from your loads but try and stick to the keep it simple rule. Why throw in another pain in the butt step in the reloading if you are getting the results you are after without it?
If you want to mess around with the primer area for more consistent shooting, start by uniforming the primer pocket and then maybe order a drill bit to clean up the flash hole where there is sometimes a burr left from punching the hole when they make the brass, but again if you are getting consistent results that you like without the extra steps you might as well keep it simple.
If you are not shooting match, the extra steps that a lot of guys take are of no value most of the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
some people have used the paper also to shim and be able to use a large pistol primer instead of rifle primer. I swedged mine down to accomadate a pistol primer and it does seem to increase some accuracy in mine

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as I know tis concept is to keep the grains of powder from getting on the primer as you mentioned...
John, the use of wads in the primer pocket or over the flash holes is not a new concept. It was discussed by Dr Mann back in the 1870's with the term being 'brisante'. Today, it is called brisance reduction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisance

At the turn of the 19th century, with the advent of Lesmoke powder, nitro based, the manufacturer of BP primers was discontinued because the nitro shooters whined the BP primers wouldn't ignite their powder columns. So the BPCR shooter had to resort to the use of the wads to reduce the high ignition flames of the nitro primers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nitrated Paper

I haven's seen anyone mention using nitrated paper such as used by the (Roll Your Own Crowd). A doubled sheet of Tops or 1.25 would completly burn during ignition and give the desired effects of keeping powder out of the flash hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts