Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have overdone it with the lapping compound on my .45 Blackhawk.  I can feel a definate taper to the bore (breech to muzzle), but there is kind of a "dead spot" in the middle that feels a bit too loose when you slug the bore.  I'm going to try to make it to the range this evening.  I will post results.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Wayne,

I still haven't seen anyone with enough patience to "over-lap" a Blackhawk!  A nice gradual taper from the forcing cone to the muzzle is the ideal setup on these guns, but few take the time to acheive that end.  With a bore thus dimensioned the bullet continually gets a tighter hold on it until it exits the muzzle, resulting in absolutely amazing range performance!

I can't imagine the "dead spot" you describe in the bore, unless it is just very uniform and slick, therefor the slug just slips through that section of your barrel.

Waiting eagerly for some range reports!  Let us know what happens!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't be able to get to the range until at least Sunday morning, so we'll see what happens then.  Please note that I did NOT firelap the bore.  I did it the old fashioned way by hand using a pored-lead lap and fine lapping compound.  Only a range test will tell if I screwed it up completely.  Anyone have a blued 5.5" .45 BH barrel in their junk box from a .475 conversion?  :)

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
OUCH! Please tell us it aint so!  It's very easy to botch a barrel with a poured lap skagg.  Let us know what happens at the range this weekend.

About barrels, I would first contact Dave Clements for a barrel, as he is very reasonable on his take-off barrels, second call to Gary Reeder, then Hamilton Bowen, in the search I'm sure you'll find one pretty reasonable.  Too I notice that Gunparts Corp. is selling Ruger factory barrels very reasonably these days as well.

Sure hope a new barrel isn't needed!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, things aren't looking good for the home team.....  I shot my .45 BH this weekend with pretty unspectacular results.  My average group at 25 yards was in the 4.5" range with 255 gr RNFP sized .452 over 9 grains of Unique.  I still have one more road to try: my cylinder throats measure .4505.  After I open them up, we'll see if a new barrel is called for.  If so, well, Dave Clements was going to get this one anyway....  After you drop &#36500+ on getting a revolver customized, what's another &#36125 for a match-grade barrel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts