Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all -

Over at shooters.talk is a discussion going on about LBT bullets; an alternative that was suggested to the LBT was something called the OWC.  I've heard this term here before also.  Anywho, it was mentioned in one of the posts that BTB has molds on order for 35 and 45 caliber production.

Who here has experience with them (OWC)?  What's the advantage of an OWC over an LBT for an e.l.k. or an h.o.g.?  Sorry...can you tell I have an 8 year old daughter?  :biggrin:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Alan,

The OWC (Ogival Wadcutter) will be available from BTB probably in the summer or whenever the molds are ready. Currently looking at 35, 44 and 45 cal. bullets.

The OWC is basically a full wadcutter with a slight ogive. The meplat usually runs about 1/32" less than nominal bullet diameter no matter the caliber. This provides some form stability and a slightly better BC.

The crimp groove is also positioned like a normal bullet. They are NOT deep seated like a normal wadcutter is.

They are really designed as a wheelgun bullet. Some fixed chamber guns present chambering and feeding problems due the nose bluntness. But, will work in some guns.

They can be shot with lighter loads or gas checked and loaded at full power for increased range.

Overall, a great woods bullet for game. A smasher that doesn't need cylinder bulging loads to work either.

James Gates will be hog testing some of the ones I sent him in the 44 cal. and possibly the 35 cal. also. Should be an interesting report! See his post here:
http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin....>Having said all that, there is a little trade off as far as BC and feeding and chambering as said above. But, that's the fun of it! It's a specialized bullet with a specific purpose just like all the LBT designs.

Now get back to crimping. :biggrin:

Regards,

:cool:

(Edited by Contender at 7:38 pm on May 25, 2001)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Alan....Friend Contender does a good job explaining the design of the OWC as compared to the LBT type bullets. We have been testing his 280 gr .44 OWC and I can tell you the best way to describe it is "Smashing"!!!!!We are running them over AA5 at 1200'/" from a SBH 7 1/2" barrel. I also shot them in my Marlin 1894P, but as Contender notes, feeding is tricky. I feel it would be an outstanding short range bullet where you wanted max tissue damage. As he says, we will be testing it, along with other BTB bullets under controlled situations on trapped and free running wild hogs this summer on a large South Florida ranch. Results to be published here on the Forum before hunting season kicks off in the Fall. It's hard to tell how many meat hunters we here on the forum. With this bullet and its huge meplat, I see no reason to even consider a expanding bullet, either jacketed or cast HP. Whether it willl out perform th LBT design? We will just have to see the tests.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bring on the tests James!  This OWC sounds like the bullet for me (promise..no more extended rhyming :biggrin:)  Sub 300 grs. at 1200 fps (max), fired at live targets to 50 yards (max).

Contender - loaded another 100 rounds tonight fiddley fartin' with the profile crimp adjustment.  Since I've never seen one (taper/roll crimp) before I don't know what's 'normal'.  I've got 250 rounds and a free  Sunday afternoon.  Just try and slap this smile off me face!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts