Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a p17, and it has a notch in the front receiver ring. Like it was done to fit extra long cart. I have been told it is for taking off the bbl in arsn. refinish, and that it was from overseas when they used forgin clips. Does anyone know what that was for and who did it?

·
Registered
556 Posts
It depends

That notch was placed there for whatever reason someone had in mind. It was not put there to remove the barrel and the charger clip guide is at the rear of the receiver. If I were to hazard a guess it would be to enhance single loading of cartridges. That modification is not standard for U.S. G.I. rifles. I just bought another original U.S. 1917 Eddystone today and it does not have that receiver cut. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rec. cut

I know it was not put there by the us gov. but I have seen way to many for it not to be some governments add on. I have been told many stories and one was that it was from a european gov. arsonal add on for some type of clip charger they used or because the ammo was a bit longer.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Oberndorf is correct. If there is a rounded slot in the receiver at the port, it was put there by a gunsmith to accomodate loading/unloading cartridges longer than standard 30-06 ammo.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Kdub is correct. The 1917s were sometimes chosen

to be re-worked to 300 H & H Magnum.

There were two shooters at my local gun club in

the mid-1950s with Mod. 70s in the H & H caliber.

In practice sessions I still remember one of those

shooters. His match type shooting was mainly in

the prone position. After about 10 shots, he'd get

off the shooting mat, reach down and pull the mat

forward. He and the mat had scooted back about a

foot and the mat needed repositioning. Recoil was

awesome.

The American Rifleman during those years ran

advertisements by gunsmiths to build 300 H & H

Magnums and 1917 actions were mentioned.

Any 1917 action with a notch was at one time I

suspect a H & H caliber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
p17

No I don't beleive it is a gun smith, The gun is chamberd for 3006 and it is an import. So this gun was used in a forgin military and most likely had some kind of forgin charger clip. I have seen this notch in several imports, I just would like to find out the real story. I have heard it was sweeden that used them and then exported them back to the US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts