Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Walther P22.. It is about 95 %.. Problem is it won't go bang..... After about 5-6 tries it finally goes bang and continues thru the rest of the clip.. HELP.....Using Remmie Thunderbolts.P.S. No firing pin marks on the no fires

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
Cleaned out the bolt? Probably full of crud, or a burr.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's on the bench... Won't be able to play til late tommorrow..Thanx. Dealer said it was cleaned by prev owner just before he sold it.. Ya right..

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
You may be having several problems. First, as already mentioned, by hook or crook, clean out that bolt throughly. A small bit of crud or gum may be all that's giving grief. Then, it may sound crazy but you may have a situation where a bit of gunk in the chamber, or overlubed or slightly oversize bullets, may be causing cartridge to not be fully-seated. The first half-dozen licks might very well leave no marks, or very faint maks, while the firing pin does not have the firm backing of the "Anvil" provided by the chamber face. Now, why this would be the case if subsequent rounds go off easy, I do not know, but I know enough to never say never.

I do NOT know enough about the P22 action, but in some pistol designs an internal trigger safety or interrupter will keep the firing pin from striking , and if the action is a bit out-of-whack somehow I suppose some such scenario could occur.

Another thing is ammo. Some is much "softer" than others. For instance, I once had a Ruger MKII Target 22/45, and with one brand of ammo (can't remember which for sure, darn it, but I have a feeling it was Rem Thunderbolt) it would do almost exactly what you describe. With any other brand it was 100%.

Good luck in pinning it down!

·
Registered
750 Posts
There is a magazine safety on the P22, that might be a contributing factor.

My P22 is EXTREMELY picky about ammo. I have had the best luck with Winchester SuperX High Velocity (Silver brick, not bulk pack). And pretty good luck with Federal HV Bulk pack.

She will function with sub-sonic loads, but you had better keep a good firm grip, any energy loss will just lock the slide open.

Call Walther, I have sent mine back once for service and they were great, even got a free mag out of them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember tho it DOES fire the same ammo after a few tries.. May be easier to dump it and forget it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
.22 bulk ammo has a lot of variability. Having said that, my experience is that with an unmodified production pistol from a name manufacturer, the problem is often that the action is dirty. This is compounded if the previous owner used something like WD-40 on it. The WD-40 combines with the carbon residue to form a first class paste that hardens into something that you could make bunkers out of. Field strip it, and use a toothbrush and some brake component cleaning solvent to loosen the crud. Then clean it again with a good gun cleaning solvent like Hoppes or similar. Follow up with a light coat of gun oil and wipe it down dry. I like to coat the bearing surfaces with a very light coat of Riggs or in the case of plastic to metal designs, I use some white lithium lube. Apply with a pipe cleaner, "a little dab el do ya". Then.....try some CCI mini mag solids and see what happens. Each .22 is a bit different in what it likes but the CCI is a medium priced product with reasonably consistant rim thickness which is important on a .22. I find that these little pistols need to be fire a few thousand times to "break them in". Good shooting..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Had one of these, shot a ton of Thunderbolts through it, had similiar problems, maybe never so regular as the first round failure thing, but plenty of failures to load, stovepipes, etc. A 22 shooter told me to go to American Eagle if I HAD to shoot bulk ammo, it's a lot cleaner and most all of the problems cleaned up. The pistol is picky about ammunition, but I would look at the mechanics of your problem first, as it seems to be very regular in occurance. It does sound like the first round isn't seated, is it as simple as not letting the slide snap shut?? I've seen some folks try to ease the slide closed, easy on the hardware but not good for getting the first one into the chamber fully.
Good luck, it's a fun(but loud!) little pistol to shoot.

·
Registered
825 Posts
When you get the gun back from the dealer, I highly recommend you shoot CCI MiniMags in it. My P22 is a PITA with a lot of other varieties of 22 ammo. With the MiniMags, it is just load, shoot and repeat. I kinda prefer my Ruger MK II, but my wife, kids, friends all love shooting the little P22.

Andy

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
.22 bulk ammo has a lot of variability...
Ain't that the truth. I don't even bother with the stuff anymore.

I have a P22, and I absolutely love it. With Remington Yellow Jackets and Copperheads it is absolutely 100% reliable. With bulk Federal and Remington, it's a fancy looking tack hammer. It shoots the better grade of Remington Hi-Speed stuff just as well, Remington Target, not so well.

Bulk ammo is fine in my Single Six, or 77/22, but even my 10/22 is erratic with cheap stuff.

P22's are finiky, try a couple brands before you chuck it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a can of foaming cleaner, opened the action and foamed the bolt area.. Don't want to take her down . Don't want the dealer to say I screwed something up. Blew the thing out best I could with my shopvac. Threw in a different clip and it went bang both times I pulled the trigger. Being a Sunday I didn't want to let off any more. Tomorrow I'll try the other mag..Don't see how its the mag, but stranger things have happened. Still going to have him go thru it.. Thanx for all the info and advise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update--------------- Gave it another dose of foam and blew it out again. Took the other mag. (the one I used when I had problems) and it went bang. The mag may still be screwie cause I had a dble feed. I'll have to compare the two . Springs,feed ramps,and lips. As a side note it hits where its pointed, which pleases the heck out of me.. Also still using the Rem Thunderbolts. Thanx for all the help... Stash

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Senior moment again..... Should have posted this a couple weeks ago.... Took the P22 apart and scrubbed the snot out of it. LITERALY.. The inside looked like it was packed in THICK used cosmoliene?? . It works great now. It still shoots the cheapo ammo like champ. Remmies and Winch.333 packs.. I'm a happy camper.......Thanx again for all the help and suggestions...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dealer said it was cleaned by prev owner just before he sold it.. Ya right..
You know what they say...if you want if done right do it yourself. A good cleaning can solve a lot of problems with guns. Glad it was such a simple fix, have fun shooting it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts