Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For myself I'll start out with my Savage 111 30-06 when on stand and then when we start to do some driving I'll switch to my Winchester 95 in 30-40 Krag. My son will start out with his Ruger 257 Roberts and then switch to my Winchester 94 in 30-30. Our morning stand has shots anywheres from a few feet to a few hundred yards depending in what direction the deer comes from. Both of the Winchesters was my father's who passed away this past January but haven't been used for hunting for quite sometime.

·
Banned
556 Posts
On a couple hunts to PA, it seemed everyone used a short Remington pump in 30-06, a Marlin in .35 or a Win 94 in 30-30.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I have hunted McKean CO since 1958, and things have changed. The use of bolt actions has declined markedly, lever guns has held constant and the Remington pump has come on strong, especially the carbine in 30-06. These trends are interesting, and probably reflect the Eastern woods hunting conditions and a general acceptance of the pump as the equal of bolt guns in the accuracy and reliability department. For follow up shots, its no contest.

I hunt with an Encore in 243, just because I enjoy single shot hunting, but if I really needed the meat, it would be the Rem pump carbine in '06.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought that firearm deer season in PA started the day after thanksgiving.Does it start the following monday?

I'll be up in the mountains with Marlin 1895 in .444.

Good luck all you keystoners.

Jeff

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it starts Dec.2 this year. As long as I can remember it's always been the Monday after Thanksgiving (40+ years. I'm 48 years old). Looks like we might have some snow this year instead of the 50 degree weather that we had last year might make a better year for hunting anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts