Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

I currently have the wood work off my 1988 Marlin .444ss it has a hard adjustable recoil pad fitted and a horrilbe dark varnish "over" the original varnish !

I have found a lovely piece of walnut under that varnish, while i have it striped down i thought i might as well tackle the recoil pad and fit a Pachmayr. Trouble is their are loads of em !

I reckon the premium deluxe field (small) should do the trick, i believe it comes in basket finnish and different thickness ie 0.60"/ 0.80"/ 1" can any one advise on the best thickness ? Is 1" to thick ?

Any thoughts ? Advice ?

Englander

:confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
I favor the Decellerator.

Not sure which one will fit your gun, if I get a chance I will check my Brownell's catalog when I get home and see if there is any additional information. Assume you found the sizes of the various pads listed on the web, and measured the buttstock of your gun? If so you should be OK. Might have to drill new screw holes, no big deal.

Considering the recoil of your 444.... I would get the thickest one. Might have to reduce the length of the stock a bit, not a problem since you are refinishing it anyway.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Englander:
I prefer the Pachmayer Old English(D752 & D752B) pads. They're subtle in appearance and don't look like a tacked on after-thought. Get the 1" pad. Your shoulder will appreciate it and you can always trim your stock and refit the pad if the length of pull is too long.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
516 Posts
Englander - I like the sound of your walnut. Anyway, I've read several posters on the Marlin board who complained about the very poor fit of the "pre-fit" Decelerators. You should make an outline or silouette of your stock's butt to have when purchasing the pad. I highly agree w/ 338 on selection of the decelerator. I have them put on all my bigger guns before I ever fire them. The one on my 45-70 guide gun is 3/4 of an inch thick ( 18 mm ???). Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Recoil pad

Hello Englander, I agree with the decellerator pad. I have that pad on all by hard hitting rifles and they work great. I put one on my 45-70 Browning 1886 carbine and it helps alot. I would go with the 1 inch thick pad to get maximum relief from the recoil. Believe me my 45-70 recoil is plain uncomfortable and not fun to shoot when loaded heavy, even with the decellator pad on! I suspect your 444 will generate simular recoil whe loaded to its potential. The decellator looks good and works. Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts