Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in another thread here I talked about ordering one of these.  It arrived today and as expected it didn't exactly "fit".  Once upon a time, many years ago I installed a Pachmayr (prior to pre-fit-days) on a Rem 700 ADL in 270 which I felt at the time kicked too much.  I taped off the butt stock, installed the pad, and began to grind the pad down with a grinder bit chucked in a hand drill...didn't even cut the stock down.  I spent hours on that thing only to settle for a slightly less than good fit due to getting frustrated.  This new one is a close fit but overlaps the butt stock by about 1/8" - 1/4" in spots.  This time I expect that just scribing the outline of the stock on the plastic spacer and hitting on the grinding wheel for a bit will finish the job.  What techniques have others here tried for this?

BTW, that 270 is about the most accurate rifle I still own, and I'm sure that installing that pad had much to do with it...ugly or not.

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
You are right about the solution and it is sad that these "prefit" pads often do not fit. My "prefit" pad was too small for my 1895G so I bought an oversized pad from a gunsmith and had him grind it to size and put it on. My "prefit' is now on a stock in Oklahoma after I mentioned it on the Marlin Board. The difference between the length of the buttend on my stock and the fellow's in Oklahoma stock was about one-half inch. Same gun, big stock difference.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I took mine to a gunsmith.  I didn't want to mess up that pretty walnut stock.  I guess I'm not much of an artist.

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts