Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last batch of wheel weights that I picked up had a great deal of weights with a silver enamel-like painted coating. It flakes off with a pocket knife and is coming off of some of the older looking weights. This stuff is definitely paint of some type, and not the alloy, which incidentally looks like a standard wheel weight underneath.

The question is: Can I use these weights for bullet casting or are they garbage? I hope to hear from those of you who have had experience with these.

Thanks.

5 Shot

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, 5 shot:
I've used them with no problems. Melt them down outside and downwind. If you want to play it safe, melt some down separately and cast a few bullets before you blend them in with your main batch of lead.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack,

Thanks - It seemed like it would be a waste to throw out such a large number of weights. I will give them a try and see how it goes.

5 Shot

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Five Shot,

The painted wheelweights are identical to the unpainted from the same manufacturer. The painted weights are made to use on aluminum alloy wheels. Bare weights on an aluminim wheel can cause staining and pitting through electrolytic corrosion. The paint acts as an insulator to prevent formation of an electrical field between the dis-similar metals. The paint seems to be a one-part epoxy, and the only problem in using them is the great amount of dross the paint causes.

From what I have been able to determine, there are supposedly only two manufacturers of wheelweights in the U.S. It is assumed that all production form each uses the same alloy with one having somewhat more Antimony than the other.

The third type of weights, the adhesive ones which look like a small lead bar, are nearly pure lead. The double-sided foam tape used to attach them really makes a mess!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just skim the paint off the top of the melt when I'm melting a batch of wheelweights into ingots; never had any problems.
Watch out for weights made of zinc. They'll mess up your alloy and about all you can do is pitch the contaminated alloy and start over. Zinc weights will be much lighter than the others. Zinc weights will usually (fingers crossed) float to the top of your melt after the rest have melted before melting themselves. It's better to get the zinc weights culled before they go into the pot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts