Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Ran across a bit on the internet , from a Google search on paper patching bullets, that mentioned patching lead bullets with teflon plumbers tape. Anyone else ever heard of this? I thought I might try it, as I haven't yet jumped into paper patching bullets, but it sounded interesting. Any experiences or ideas about paper patching?

SSB

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
SSB

Several of us a paper patchers here. I have not seen a recent post by the Kragman but he is for sure one of the experianced patchers.

I have used what we call "oxygen tape" in the airplane buissness. Probably exactly what you are talking about. It's made by 3M. I dont have a box in front of me but I do have the roll of tape. It is about 15/32's" wide and about 0.003" thick.
The tape patches well but requires a bit of practice to properly apply. It is very stretchy. We had good luck with teflon tape at velocities below 1800 fps. ABove that we had better luck with paper.
For paper you can start all types of vigorous discussion by listing your favortie type and thickness. I prefer 100% cotton bond. My father (who is a lot smarter than I am - I asked) pefers onion skin - very thin. We both get good results.
Go to any staioner and they will sell you paper by the sheet. Start off with a sample of 25%, 50% and 100% cotton. To this add a few patches cut from standard typing paper. It will all work. I have never found that paper patch bullets accelerated barrel wear so dont let that worry you.
Roll you patches both directions and watch for a fifference in groups, just for fun. We use Lee case sizing lubricant for patch lube. This is a die makers wax and is magic. Otheres have other pet lubes and I am sure they work too.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
paper patching

SSB,
Most of what you learn about paper patching will be by old fashoned trial and error.
One good basic book is "the paper jacket" by Paul Matthews.
It's a good 15 dollar investment.
Another thing;9 pound paper(onion skin) is used by most patchers.It would be a good place to start.
I believe tat "air mail paper",which comes in small tablets,is the same thing.
Good luck,
Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts