Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 9mm 125 grain partially jacked hollow points and I am look for the load data for Hodgdon HS-6 powder. There are only a handful of things Hodgdon lists and nothing even close. Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
The Lyman 50th manual lists 5.8 gr of HS-6 start and 6.6 gr max for the 125 gr jacketed HP. Should be pretty similar to what you're shooting. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Who manufactured your "partially jacketed" bullets? The larger, more popular bullet manufacturers publish reloading manuals...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think that he is looking for load data for a partialy jacketed 125 grain. Seems like I used some of those many years ago but dont recall who mafe them

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,130 Posts
Find a jacketed bullet that is basically the same dimensions and seats to the same length, within a few thousands. There's your load data. How much the bullet weighs, how much of the case capacity it takes up, and the jacket material friction are most of what you need to worry about. The exposed lead nose is meaningless, unless it causes problems feeding.

·
Super Moderator
13,187 Posts
I think he means a half-jacket, where the jacket is just a cylindrical cup and the lead is usually a round nose set into the half-jacket. As already suggested, the friction-related performance will be the same as for similarly shaped jacketed bullets seated to the same depth in the case. If I am correct about the bullet design, then a 124-grain RN FMJ load data and COL will be closest. One grain of weight difference is not significant here.

Reactions: Blackhawk355

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I am certain that I had used some of these bullets before. Was thinking that they were from Speer. Did a quick search and found nothing in .355 that had a half jacket. Anyone else remember these? I imagine that they are no longer produced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Unfortunately the bullets were given to me so I don't know the brand name. I just realized that we can attach photos. Thanks for any help I hate to waste a lot of bullets because I can't figure out a safe load. Yes its a hollow point not a flat nose and I am using Hodgdon HS-6 but I could get a different powder if I need too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that he is looking for load data for a partialy jacketed 125 grain. Seems like I used some of those many years ago but dont recall who mafe them
Correct but Unfortunately the bullets were given to me so I don't know the brand name or I would try the manufactures infromation

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks like a sierra jacketed hollow point. calling it a partial jacket is misleading.

Plenty of data for those on Hornady site.

·
Super Moderator
13,187 Posts
Yep. That's not a half-jacket. I was basing that idea on the description before the photo went up. We can't see whether there is a hollow point or not from the photo angle. If so, it is as Harry said. If not, it is a typical soft-point form, most of which seem to have disappeared from the market like half-jackets have. Half-jackets are cylindrical copper cups with lead swaged into them and don't reach high enough up the sides of the bullet to become part of the ogive (the curved part of the tip). This auction page has a photo of some half-jacketed SWC's, though the ones I used to get for 30 cal plinkers from Speer were all round nose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. That's not a half-jacket. I was basing that idea on the description before the photo went up. We can't see whether there is a hollow point or not from the photo angle. If so, it is as Harry said. If not, it is a typical soft-point form, most of which seem to have disappeared from the market like half-jackets have. Half-jackets are cylindrical copper cups with lead swaged into them and don't reach high enough up the sides of the bullet to become part of the ogive (the curved part of the tip). This auction page has a photo of some half-jacketed SWC's, though the ones I used to get for 30 cal plinkers from Speer were all round nose.

Defintate a hollow point. I just don't recall seeing one without the jacket all the way up. Like I said they were given to me and there a thousands of these 125 grain and thousands more of 158 grain. I am not so sure about using the 158 grain never loaded such a heavy bullet in 9mm.

Thanks for the information

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
As said, that's a jacketed hollow point and can be loaded per loads listed in manuals or online by the makers. The suggested load I previously listed from the Lyman manual for HS-6 will do.

Reactions: rvance

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,130 Posts
You might want to check the diameter. The 158gr. bullets are almost certainly .357, not .355, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 125s were for the .38/.357 magnum as well. Usually, bullets for semi-autos have more of a round nose.

Anyway, get your calipers out and check the diameter.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Many years ago Speer made some half jacketed bullets and I used a lot of them in my revolvers. if I were reloading those I would start with equivalent JHP weight/shape bullets' data. Starting load data of course...

·
Registered
101 Posts
View attachment 99348

Defintate a hollow point. I just don't recall seeing one without the jacket all the way up. Like I said they were given to me and there a thousands of these 125 grain and thousands more of 158 grain. I am not so sure about using the 158 grain never loaded such a heavy bullet in 9mm.

Thanks for the information
I would think these are for 357 magnum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts