Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed my holiday project,,,a matching partner for my 44 Mag. Have been wanting to do something like this for years (I have seen a lot of folks with a set up like this), and just never got around to it.....so, I decided it was about time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt; I am going to do the same for the Redhawk as well, but cant start the knife until I decide which way I am going with the revolver. I want to make the gun something a bit different, and am exploring design schemes for both...I guess only time will tell!!!

·
Banned
223 Posts
great looking combo. do not forget to post pics of your redhawk when you get it done, love to see custom guns done by there owners.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slowsuki1; Thanks! I like to see what others have done as well. The idea/design for this Super Blackhawk was inspired by none other than Rocky Raab, a forum member. He posted a photo of his Birds Head Blackhawk, and I just had to have one! He gave me a lot of support along the way, and without that this project would have never been started, let alone completed. There are a lot of talented folks on here, but, unlike me, they are a humble bunch, and getting them to show off their work takes some doing. I would like to see more of what other folks are working on, and even the simplest of projects is always interesting to me. When the Redhawk is done, I will post it here..........

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Did you use a factory bird's head or a custom one?

Ruger just released an 8 shot Blackhawk in .327 Federal Mag that would look good with a birds head.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the factory and they cast me the Birds Head for a New Model Super, in stainless. Took about 4 weeks to get. When I got it, it was in "as cast" condition (as promised), and it took a lot of fitting and finishing (as promised)!!! But, what else would I do with my time?...................An "8" shot Blackhawk!?!?!?!!? What is this world coming to?!?!?!?!? I mean, have they no respect for "tradition"?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
They have a new 7 shooter GP100 in .327 FM also... I guess they are following S&W's lead in the oddball number of holes program.

I saw where Midway had the birdsheads in Alloy and Stainless for sale.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Hey now if they will just get off the dime and make 5-shot Blackhawks in .475 Linebaugh.... I already got a .50 cal so I'll not bother to nag them for that :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt; Its all about "oneupmanship" with the manufacturers!!! Besides, I just dont see where high capacity firearms are needed for anything but fighting a war, law enforcement use, or high volumn plinking...which I dont do....For my purposes that one or two extra shot capacity is not needed, besides, even loading the "sixes" for my DA's confuses me...empty holes in loading blocks, left over cartridges...its mind boggling! LOL!!!......The aftermarket grip frames, I have heard, require the same "fit and finish" work that the factory supplied parts do, and if I remember, the Ruger OEM part cost less. It just made more sense to me to go with the factory product, and over the years Ruger has been very good to me. The only time I buy other than OEM parts, is if the manufacturer does not supply the part I need (or I cant talk them in to making a part)....then its off to Brownells, Midway, Numrich, or in the case of my Marlin work, WWG, Longhunter, etc. In the past, I have actually made replacement parts for some of the guns I have worked on. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

MikeG; Thats it...just rub it in!!! LOL!!! Five shot revolvers would not bother me in the least...matter of fact, being the "old school" guy that I am, and with old habbits hard to break, I still carrry my New Model SA's with the hammer down on an empty chamber. I have shot the 44 Mag for most of my shooting life, and have never found a need for anything more powerful, and now that I am entering my "twilight years" and suffering from the infirmities that accompany that, I find that the 44 Mag would be about all I can or would care to shoot anymore. I am not the man I once was!!!! For you guys that can hold on to those "really big boys"...more power to ya!!!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Also, with the aftermarket Birds head grip, custom grips are a necessity, as the factory ones won't fit any of them, and for the most part, there is a lot of variance in their products and they can't even assure that commercial grips will fit.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt; Thats all true. I never tried the factory grips on mine, but, I have a suspicion that they would need some final fitting as well. I just trust the factory more than I do the aftermarket suppliers..........

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm not the man I usta be either flattop. Had to take medical retirement in '08, but I still have my 44 and roadbike and make noise with both of them when I can, so there's still hope , right?:cool:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gunpa; If we can get out of bed every morning, and still be healthy enough to have the strength to twist the throttle, or pull the trigger....we are blessed!!!! Ride on....and shoot on, brother!!!

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Flat top that is a great looking combo you have there. You and Gunpa can keep the Murdercycles but I will keep shooting as long as I can hold a gun.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
When I read the heading of this thread, I didn't expect to see a knife as the partner to the Super Blackhawk. But then I've never been into knives other than the few I carry while hunting. The partner to my Super Blackhawk is a Marlin 1894C that loves the Beartooth 250gr WFNGC .432 dia. bullets.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jodum; Next time I am down your way, I will stop in and take you for a spin...its the closest thing to flying without having to leave the ground...hopefully!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Irv; I would love to have a Marlin 1894SS, 44 Mag to make it a "family affair"...I have been looking... no luck yet. but, my day will come!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
beautiful noise

Jodum,you should take flat top up on his offer. Once you've felt and heard the power of a 44 mag or V Twin engine in your hand you are hooked for life! Ride on Flat top! Gunpa:D no bugs in teeth!:)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gunpa; Nothing closer to the truth!!!!

I learned to keep my mouth shut when riding (which is very unlike the way I am when on this forum). I actually got a bee in my mouth once....stung me! Had to go to the doc to get it treated....from then on my lips have been sealed when riding!!!! LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts