Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good links for parts like tactical trigger guards, triggers and other mod parts? Also any good gunsmith tools and parts sites would be appreciated.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
The first one off the top of my head is Brownells. Lots of tools, parts, barreled-actions, blueing baths, etc.. Their website isn't the most user friendly, especially if don't know the name of the manufacturer of the part, so I usually get their catalog. Cost $5 bucks for the catalog, but that is credited on your first purchase.

http://www.brownells.com/index.html

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, They have a ton of stuff. You were right I ordered the catalog. I also got a the afforadle gunsmithing catalog from midwayusa.com. I ordered several items from them. much better prices and they have buyer comment on each item. I had great luck with the Wheeler barrel vise and wrench for Remmington 700s. I used the lead shims they recommended and there is not a mark on the barrel or the action. I am going to order the lug lapping tool and give that a try. I am investigating trueing the reciever. I don't know exactly how to go about it for sure. I may have to break down and get a lathe for that kind of work. My overall goal is to be my own gunsmith.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Uh-oh. You can't be saved, it's a slippery slope and you are already sliding. You aren't married are you?:D

Just kidding with you. One of these days when I grow up, that's my plan too. There's a lot of controversy out there about the different lathes and stuff and I got bogged down in all of it years ago. I decided the real way for me to learn without it getting overly expensive in ruined project guns was to help a gunsmith buddy of mine out on the weekends. The joker up and moved out of state about 6 months after I started working with him. Some friend.:p

I've toyed with the idea of converting my little hobby wood working shop into a gunsmithing shed, but my wife narrows her stare when I mention it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
It's a slippery slope indeed. First you get a lathe, then it becomes obvious a milling machine will be necessary, then perhaps a power hacksaw, welder, and torch. This is assuming you already have standard stuff like drill press, grinder, files, etc. You'd be surprised how handy an old shaper is, if you can find one, although some things can be done with a fly cutter in a mill. And if you don't have a drill bit sharpener, you'll need one!

Don't even want to think about woodworking tools.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts