Shooters Forum banner

Patric Henry daggar

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Good Shooter 
#1 · (Edited)
I just finished my reproduction of the historical dagger carried by Patrick Henry at the original Tea Party. The mill finished stainless blade has attractive spine file work and is a big clip point shape. The hilt is stainless and polished from a rough stamping, the handle is Full Tang with polished Buffalo Horn slab scales and 2 brass pins. Overall length finished at just under 14 inches. Patrick Henry carried a knife of this design of his at the original Boston Tea Party. Incidentally, the added spine file work is Morse Code for the letter "F". Don't mess with American liberty or you are effing dead and that is why the handle is shaped like a coffin too. Patrick Henry scared the British so badly that not a single shot was fired at the Boston Tea Party. Picture:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213284275333748&set=a.1078581737109&type=3&theater

My belt sheath is sold by WR Case and is a replacement sheath for their Bowie. It is a nice fit for my Patrick Henry. The blade and hilt blanks, raw Buffalo slabs and brass pin stock were purchased on Amazon.

Gary

#4 · (Edited)
If you are interested in trying the build, Here is the blade and guard direct from the machine shop maker in North Carolina with more info:

https://premiumknifesupply.com/s1-pactrick-henry-coffin-style-bowie/

I carry a gigantic knife when Bear hunting or more often a hatchet. I've been charged and got Bear spit on my face. Mature male Black Bears here are 400+ pounds and they charge when they decide. This Patrick Henry is for one of my grandsons that just started Bear hunting.

Gary

#5 ·
Thank you, Gary, for the picture and comment on the Patrick Henry knife. I am impressed, and I ordered a blade for myself. I hope it turns out as well as yours.

Here in Virginia we have enough bears to get our attention and I hope to get one soon with my Marlin 45-70. My neighbor got a 535 pounder but most bears here are way smaller. We got a 300 pound cinnamon in Idaho years ago and that whetted my appetite for more. I read your report some time ago about the bear charge and the bear spit. That must have been a great challenge and a classic hunter triumph and story. Congratulations for that and thanks for sharing it.

Ed

#8 · (Edited)
Good Shooter

Ed I have some Buffalo hide I almost used to make a period sheath as I work leather too but that sheath for my Patrick Henry was only $17.98 from Shepherd Hills Cutlery:

Case knives Case XX Knife Item # 50419 - -

This is the sheath that fits the Case Bowie and comes with it. They sell replacements and that is what I got. The sheath is strong, sturdy and well made for $17.98 !

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.