Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in some new PC powder & "instructions". Also 1000 AirSoft black BB's. "Instructions" said, put about half of the BB's in a cool whip bowl with about 1 1/2 tsp of powder( orange/brown used ). I swirled the powder & bullets around for about 45 sec's. Bullets appeared to be coated nicely. Turned on oven to preheat, important. Bullets were placed on my non stick aluminum sheet covered tray. Bullets were handled only with needle nose pliers. No bare fingers as "instructed". Oven set on Air Fry , not bake as "instructions stated". after about 6 or 7 min. of preheat I placed the tray in the oven. My oven set at 375 dg. Air Fryed for 12 minutes. Looking thru the glass door I could see bullets with shinny melted PC. Took them out of oven , let cool for about 3 min., then rolled them around. Looked great. These bullets ( 44 cal , GC ) were sized with the GC before coating. .430". They came out of the oven at .433". After cooling I ran them thru the sizer again & they came out at .430". Did 3 batches of about 50 or 60
PC 44 001.JPG
bullets each. Just now finished so will be a day or two before I get to shoot. Might add I did all the bullets without adding any extra powder. Still appears to be enough to coat another 50 easy. To say I'm happy is an understatement. If I can do this anyone can.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Looks good bud. Should be good shooters.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Gary,
For men it would always be navy blue, red, or white. It only changes for evening political or consul events and those are white jacket events.
For the ladies no black after Easter and no white after Labor day. Red or teal is always good.
;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
What did I miss here? What is PC powder? What does it do to the air soft BB's and what diameter were the bullets when you started? Why did you heat them, and at what temperature? I've never seen this black magic before.

I'm guessing you are plastic coating the lead bullet. Doesn't that create it's own problems when cleaning the bore?

I'm willing to learn, but this has me scratching my head.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,517 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,517 Posts
As in powder coat paint?
When did that become a thing for bullets?
Seriously I must have been living under a rock.
Yes
It's been a lot more than a hot minute
... Which means, kinda, yeah...😉😉😆

Cheers

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Looks nice. Did you lose any of the powder coating re-sizing the bullets after they were done?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Gary,
For men it would always be navy blue, red, or white. It only changes for evening political or consul events and those are white jacket events.
For the ladies no black after Easter and no white after Labor day. Red or teal is always good.
;)
Will I be Okay if I stick with Basic Black ... my wife says that her little black dress is never out of style and you are never wrong to go with black !
Just too many colors to choose from .
Gary

·
Registered
692 Posts
So I am intrigued. How is cleaning the bore with this work? Paint thinner? what temperature do you bake the PC at? What is the advantage here? I assume this is for lead cast bullets? How thick is the paint? Normally PC is applied electrostatically. Is that what the airsoft pellets are for?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,517 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did a bit more casting & PC work today. Bullets baked at 400dg for 25 min. Absolutely great success. Clean bore with no traces of lead. Accurate in my 44 hand guns, 44 rifle & 25-20 rifle. 45-70 loads at 1500 + fps. Accurate no leading. Have been casting for over 50 yrs & this is the way for me from now on. It works.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Smoke 4320's Corner cast bullets go in a clean plastic tub like a used & washed cool whip container. The powder is put in with a good amount ( 500 or so) Air Soft black plastic BB's. The BB' are available from places like Cabelas, Sports mans Warehouse , etc. Every thing is swirled around in the plastic container for about 3 minutes. This creates a static charge which allows the power to stick to the bullets. Then the bullets are place on a tray covered with non stick aluminum foil or a silicone baking sheet. It all goes into a small oven( bought mine at Walmart for $59 ) You bake at about 400dg for 25 min. The powder coat is melted over the bullets. Kind of a soft bullet jacket. I've shot loads up to 1800 fps with absolutely no lead streaking. Just as clean as if you used jacketed bullets. Check out " Smokes 4320 " for powder , & supplies that really work.
Bullets can be laid on the baking sheet in one flat layer, touching while baking. Just as soon as the oven timer goes off pull the hot tray ( WITH GLOVES ) & pour all the bullets onto a cooling tray. Swirl them around for a few seconds as they cool. This keeps them from sticking to each other. Much simpler that it sounds. My learning curve on this at home by myself was about two hrs. If I can do it any one can.
Forgot to mention. If your using gas checks put them on before coating. Then size bullets after they have cooled completely.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
So I'm looking for an old oven now!
Dom, do you thinks better than Lee tumble lube?

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
... If your using gas checks put them on before coating. Then size bullets after they have cooled completely.
What is the advantage you see over gas-checking a coated bullet? In the current thread on powder coating, I suggested you could probably go either way because I can't immediately see a reason to prefer one over the other. Time-saving, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First off Lee tumble lube is only good up to 1100 fps. This is what Lee told me.
As to using/not using gas checks. I see no big difference in my 44 hand gun at 25yds. Put the same bullet in my 44mag rifle & I see a very significant loss of accuracy at 100yds. If I use a powdered coated plain base bullet I can get a a different out come. I believe it has something to do with the way the bullet leaves the barrel. The unsupported base of a gas check style bullet without the gas check only has the PC for support which is a soft pliable polymer. Even a PB bullet has base support as it leaves the barrel. No wiggle so to speak. Had the same results with my 45-70 trying to use my GC style bullet without the GC. I have lots of GC collected from over the years so I have the luxury of using them. I have my own range here so I can test daily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts