Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello on and all, i have a question that could help me greatly and satisfy a old mans wish. My grandfather has always loved cowboy movies. Of course his favorite being the man with no name trilogy. And he absolutly loved the colt peacemakers that clint eastwood had. Now in a few months his 70ith birthday is coming up and i thought that if i could get a quote price and even find a site selling them, my father brother and i could shell out some moeny to make his long time wish come true. Now if anyone at all has ever purchased or seen what these things go for, postt it here. I need every bit of info i can find so my grandfather can finally get his hands on one of those classic pistols

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Of course, if you want the same as what Eastwood used in TGBU (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) you can go to Cimmaron and Uberti makes one that you can order from them with the Rattlesnake grips. Its a cartridge conversion gun on a 1851 Colt Navy in .38. Its the gun he sits there cleaning and reloading in the Hotel room when Tuco (the Ugly) has his three bandit friends try to enter by the door when Tuco comes in the window to surprise Blondie.

"There are two kinds of spurs my friend. Those that come in by the door and those that come in through the window".

Here it is. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Conversions/ManNo%20NameConv.htm

·
Registered
531 Posts
Need a lot more info. Do you want a first, second, third, or fourth generation Colt? What caliber, finish and barrel length? What kind of grips? Does he want it to shoot, or to keep in the safe and bring out to look at? Used in great condition or has to be new in the box? How much does authenticity of the Colt name mean - you could go Cimarron and/or Ruger as noted above. I love Colts, owned quite a few, but I also like to shoot. The Colts are gone and I have a Cimarron that is every bit as much fun to me, and a Ruger when i want to rattle the heavens.
Second generation almost as new Colts, plain, go dear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Of course, if you want the same as what Eastwood used in TGBU (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) you can go to Cimmaron and Uberti makes one that you can order from them with the Rattlesnake grips. Its a cartridge conversion gun on a 1851 Colt Navy in .38. Its the gun he sits there cleaning and reloading in the Hotel room when Tuco (the Ugly) has his three bandit friends try to enter by the door when Tuco comes in the window to surprise Blondie.

"There are two kinds of spurs my friend. Those that come in by the door and those that come in through the window".

Here it is. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Conversions/ManNo%20NameConv.htm
A "collector" may opt for an original SAA, but being a huge Clint Eastwood fan, I like this option better (and it's cheaper!). :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Go with a real Colt. Makes no difference whether it is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation. They look nearly identicle anyhow. Give the old man what he always wanted. Not a over price cheap knock off.

If you want save 3 or 400 bucks go with the Colt Cowboy. Looks like a 1st generation Colt but has the transfer bar safety like Rugers have. Can carry 6 rounds safely. Lots of them on the internet auction sites for sale if you can't find one locally.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Go with a real Colt. . .
Agree with you on the "real Colt".

IIRC, Colt Cowboys are manufacturer discontinued due to lack of sales. Perhaps that is why they are readily available on the internet auction sites at attractive prices. IMO, a quality clone would make a more appropriate gift if a real Colt doesn't fit the budget.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats for all the info guys

would like to get a real colt, my father and i have about eight hundred pooled together so far, not counting the hundred my brother is going to shell out soon, so i hope thats enough for a real colt.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You guys deserve a big hand for giving your grandfather a gift that he will always cherish and remember. Best wishes and hope you find that Colt.:)

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, the only problem is that the pay cheack im getting for work is going towards a m1 garand, a hunting shotgun and this colt. Plus i need to pay for gas, and my hunting gear so its all preety constricting

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
atb1012, Good luck in your hunt. I know the feeling. When nothing else will do and you just have to have X and the wants exceed the paycheck. Tell your dad happy birthday for us all.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would love a genuine Colt someday, but for now I have three clones (the three together cost the same as one Colt!). For my purposes they work well. They've held up to 5 seasons of cowboy action shooting and countless range sessions with the only problem being two broken hand springs, which were cheap to replace. I don't typically run hot loads through them so I can't say how well they'd hold up to a steady diet of them.

If you can afford the Colt, I'd say go for it, but if not you may want to consider a clone. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
The only Colt Single Action I own was a present to me from my wife, hence it is my safe queen waiting to appreciate in value. I have four Colt clones which are my shooters and the only problem I had was also a broken handspring. Clones by Uberti, Cimarron/Uberti, Navy Arms/Uberti, and others make good substitutes for the real thing. There is nothing "inferior" about a good clone and more of them are in use today than real Colts. While the Colt is made of better materials, the thing about a clone is that it looks, feels, and shoots exactly like the Colt and is affordable. Just my dos centavos on Colt clones, YMMV.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only Colt Single Action I own was a present to me from my wife, hence it is my safe queen waiting to appreciate in value. I have four Colt clones which are my shooters and the only problem I had was also a broken handspring. Clones by Uberti, Cimarron/Uberti, Navy Arms/Uberti, and others make good substitutes for the real thing. There is nothing "inferior" about a good clone and more of them are in use today than real Colts. While the Colt is made of better materials, the thing about a clone is that it looks, feels, and shoots exactly like the Colt and is affordable. Just my dos centavos on Colt clones, YMMV.
Couldn't agree with you more.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The gun used by Eastwood in the "Dollars" movies and in Rawhide was probably not even a Colt. Given the time those shows were made, it was most likely a Great Western Arms Replica.
(John Wayne carried two of them in "The Shootist" so Clint was in good company there.)

The 5.5 inch peacemaker clone with rattlesnake handle first popped up in an episode of Rawhide, by the way, where Rowdy Yates got it off a dead gunslinger.
I am guessing Eastwood kept the gun and his Alfonso's holster rig, because he carried them both in the Dollars movies.

Many Hollywood guns back then were clones. Chuck Connors "Winchester" Rifle on The Rifleman was not really a Winchester .44-40. It was a LeTigre. Ditto with the Mares Leg that Steve McQueen carried.
Great Western single actions were used heavily in movies and tv shows in the 50s and 60s.

And through Cimarron and Uberti you can get the Man With No Name guns in either the .45 colt with 5.5 inch barrel just like in the Dollars films or the Navy conversion to .38. They are just as authentic as the replicas Clint used in those Spaghetti westerns.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
While what Sunwheel said is gospel, it is interesting to note that a lot of authentic Colts, Winchesters, S&W, and other western guns WERE actually used in early movies. There was a time prior to WWI that these western guns were plentiful, cheap, and stockpiled in companies that rented them to the movie industry. A tour through the Gene Autry Museum in Los Angles has on display many of these old movie guns and what was done to some of them in the past would make todays' collector gag. The birth of CAS has brought back interest in western guns and thankfully landed many of these collectables in good homes.

IMO, western clones make good, affordable shooters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts