Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a Pedersoli Rollingblock Target Rifle in .357 Mag. What I want to do with it is rechamber it into a .357 Max with a rifle chamber and not like the revolver chamber. Can this rifle handle the added pressure? I would dearly love to have a Lone Star Rifle in same caliber but too much for my wallet.
Remfarmer

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are the SAAMI pressures the same? I think they are, IIRC.

I think it'd work anyway, as pistol actions by their very nature are usually weaker than rifle actions....

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
RemFarmer,

There are few rifle actions chambered in 357Mag that won't tolerate the MAX chambering. The longer case lets you use slower powders to generate equal pressures, over a longer period. This means you can shoot equal-weight bullets faster, or heavier bullets at like speeds. This takes you from a marginal deer cartridge to one that has a little more room for error. It also lets you shoot heavier bullets with the knock-down power needed for the heavier targets.

I would suggest that you speak with David White of D&T Gunsmithing. He will give you an authoritative answer on whether or not your action is up to the task and there is not a better man out there for doing the chamber reaming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts