Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted some feedback on the quality of this gun.  I'm unfamiliar with Pedersoli(sic) and wondered about the accuracy and how tough it might be.  could I expect to hunt with it for years or just target practice and look at it.

grateful for any feed back.

·
Registered
254 Posts
While I don't own a Pedersoli, my 1879 Model 1 in 45-70 is quite strong. Normal pressures for the cartridge won't wear out Rolling Block action. They have been chambered for some high intensity cartridges, but it is a 'springy' action design that can lead to premature case failure. Over the internet, I've not seen many derogatory remarks about Pedersoli. You can find the Pedersoli website with a Google search.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
BT,

The quality I've observed in the Pedersoli guns is excellent!  Great wood to metal fit, outstanding metal finishing and overal, a very nice piece for the money.

The only complaints I've heard, have been concerning groove diameters of the barrel running a little on the large side, usually being .4595"-.460".  This poses no problems with jacketed bullets since their strength allows them to ride the tops of the lands, and with cast bullets, provided they are sized accordingly is no stumbling block either.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to hunt with it for years.... the old original rolling blocks are still being used, and this newly manufactured model has tighter machining tolerances and better metallurgy.

Go shoot, hunt and enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read on here that I need to be careful what grain bullets to shoot in certain guns.  How heavy a grain bullet could I load for this gun(rolling block 45/70).  I don't know if I should just stick around 400 grains or if I could go heavier. Could I?

·
Registered
254 Posts
BT, a 1-20 or 22 twist will handle 300 to 525gr bullets nicely. You should run some internet searches on the Sandy Hook tests on the 45-70x500gr and Creedmoore Matches where the Rolling Blocks were quite known for accuracy. Each firearm is a law unto itself, but the Rolling Block and a 45-70 are hard to beat with proper loads.

·
Registered
302 Posts
BT, got a couple of the Pedersoli's in 45/70. A falling block and rolling block both. All commercial ammo for 45/70 is loaded to trapdoor specs. Cor-Bon and Black Hills 45/70 is loaded hotter and not recommended for trapdoor  guns.  I called Cabelas and talked to their tech about loads and they said to use only trapdoor loads. I shoot a 500 gr and 535 gr cast in my rolling block using 68 grs of "RS" Pyrodex, have watched dust kick up at 600 and 700 yds (never did hit the target).  As for quality they seem to be of top quality from other people I know and talk to that have them. As for hunting they are great to about 200 yds and will stop just about everything but a freight train.
Hopping this helps a little, cause thats what this sight is all about.

Gun Runner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts