Shooters Forum banner

Pedersoli Sharps

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rdnck 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a new Pedersoli Sharps "Quigley model" in 45/70 caliber which I will be using primarily with black powder. I would like to occasionally reload using smokeless powder. The Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading which I am using states 3 different loading levels for the 45/70: Trapdoor, Marlin 1895 and Ruger # 1. Where does the Sharps falling block action stand in terms of strength? Should I stick with the Trapdoor loading levels or will this gun handle the Marlin loading levels? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You should contact the manufacturer, who will probably tell you to stay with Trapdoor-equivalent loads, I would guess. Modern metallurgy can only do so much for old designs.

Might send a note to the companies that publish the high-pressure .45-70 load data also.

I wouldn't load over industry standard until I had heard from the manufacturer or someone else who had pressure-testing equipment and did this for a living.

Just because someone else reports that they did it successfully, doesn't mean it's a good idea! Not to be cynical but just because someone reports ANYTHING on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Always cross-reference loads with known, published data.

If the gun has a steel buttplate you'll probably find that Trapdoor loads give plenty of recoil, as is.

By the way SAAMI spec for the .45-70 is around 28,000CUP even though many load manuals stick with lower pressure than that for Trapdoor loads. So check several manuals for data, you may find quite a variety of load data without getting pressures too crazy.

My .458 Win Mag loads are around 35,000CUP or so and they'll rattle your teeth just fine!

Better cautious than the new nickname 'Three-fingers'..... my thoughs.

#3 ·
Don't think anyone has a definitive classification for these rifles, but I do rememeber several articles over the years where (after talking to the maker in the case of U.S. made Sharps) they decided to limit them to under 30K. That may be very conservative; personally I think it's about right.

You state that you want to primarily shoot black, which isn't a bad idea, so keeping the smokless balistic to the equal of BP seems to be useful, Same ballistics, same drop and wind figures; kind of a cross-training concept.

--------
Like the Sharps and old rolling Blocks, but I keep pressure in the BP area with them. For me, its like buying a classic MG (auto)...could gut it and put in a U.S. V-8 and have a much more powerful and reliable car, but some how it confuses the context of the car.

#4 ·
Quaticman, I have one of the same style, after calling cabala's (where I bought it), there Tech. said to use the Trapdoor loading data. Also commercial ammo by Win, Rem are loaded to trap door specs. Cor-Bon and a couple others load a much hotter load not recommended for the Clones. With black powder remember it is measured by volume not weight. Enjoy the rifle and shooting Black Powder, its a blast (pun intended). :D

Gun Runner

#5 ·
Pedersoli has a web page...Go there and set up an email marked "Attention Gloria Ardesi"...Tell her James Gates said for you to write...she will get the tech boys back to you....if anyone really knows it will be Pedersoli themselves.
Best Regards, James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.