Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I am in the same kind of trouble as imashooter2 is - read it old eyes. My eyes are growing old, as the rest of myself is, but to worsen things a bit, I use magnum prescription myopic glasses since first half of last century. As age grows up, eye adaptability go down, and I am at the present a 'fixed focus' guy, so, either I see the target with them but not the sights, or see the rear sight and none of the target, unless it is a charging fat elephant at halitosis distance. In both cases, front sight is blurred.
  Well, I went to range this morning with my Puma, and came back spelling S**t around 5 times per mile. My scores are playing Titanic.
  I don't think a ghost aperture would improove things, but a small aperture definitely yes.
  Do any of you have tried/seen aperture sights that fit a Rossi Puma? Much gunsmithing needed?
More specifically, would a Williams FP work?
Would I need to change front sight?
  Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
mund,after going over the post on my question on the 33 winchester I have contacted two companys that make tang sights,you mite want to talk to them.
Columbia Precison/ [email protected]
Marble Arms

both are making tang sights with different size cups

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rossi M92 Peep sights

leadbutt said:
mund,after going over the post on my question on the 33 winchester I have contacted two companys that make tang sights,you mite want to talk to them.
Columbia Precison/ [email protected]
Marble Arms

both are making tang sights with different size cups
Lyman is making the old number two tang mount again. their web site says it will fit Rossi M92.

·
Banned
738 Posts
I have a Rossi Puma, and it wears a Williams FP sight.
I had the gunsmith that worked it over drill and tap the side of the reciever for it. It works great.

The only thing I would change now, is I should have sent a Lyman sight to be mounted. From comparing the Lyman to the Williams I noticed the Lyman has more elevation adjustment available.
And because the Williams is flat backed, and the Lyman has the little angled area at the top, I can't use the Lyman because the holes were drilled just a wee bit to low.

Both sights have several different size apertures available, and both are quite durable and accuratly hold their adjustments.

You can't go wrong with this set up.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lyman peep sight

J Miller said:
I have a Rossi Puma, and it wears a Williams FP sight.
I had the gunsmith that worked it over drill and tap the side of the reciever for it. It works great.

The only thing I would change now, is I should have sent a Lyman sight to be mounted. From comparing the Lyman to the Williams I noticed the Lyman has more elevation adjustment available.
And because the Williams is flat backed, and the Lyman has the little angled area at the top, I can't use the Lyman because the holes were drilled just a wee bit to low.

Both sights have several different size apertures available, and both are quite durable and accuratly hold their adjustments.

You can't go wrong with this set up.

Joe
Hi Joe

Which Lyman receiver sight are you talking about? The 94/36? The No 2 is a tang sight. I'm a little chary of it cause it looks unprotected sticking up like it does for deer hunting.

pat

·
Banned
738 Posts
pat,

I am refering to the Lyman 66A. The Williams number is FP94/36.

I don't like the tang sights either, but only because they interfere with my grip on the stock.
I do agree that they look unprotected and vunerable.
I'll bet that's just an illusion though, considering that hunters and shooters have been using that kind of sight since the late 1800's.

Joe

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a gunsmith put a marbles tang on a Rossi 92src (fore runner of the Puma) about 1 1/2 years ago. It looked great but I still couldn't make the rife shoot good, so traded it off. Hope yours works out better. The Marbles web site has the right model # and etc. you need to order. they are pretty pricey though. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
peeps on rossi

I got a rossi 44 40 back in the early 80s and put a receiver sight on it (williams fp). I shot it thousands of times and took rabbits, squirrels, carp, a deer, and even a five lb bass with it then I went oversees in 1992 and retruned last year. I got a wild hair and put a lyman tang on it last month (I drilled and tapped and actually got it right for a change). The tang sight makes it look neat, like a real 92 but there is little difference in the shoting, it is and has always been very accuarate, it has a 426 bore so it is quite tight. NMy eyes are going south to and the peep works darn good for that. I use single vision for shooting as the bifocals interefere.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Here's a photo of my old Interarms Rossi 92 in 357 wearing its Lyman 66A sight, as it has for about a dozen years. It's well used, well worn, and never gets out of whack. Simple, drill and tap two holes. That's all there is to it, then file down the front sight to bring elevation into play.

God Bless

Attachments

·
Banned
45 Posts
Thats the problem with my Browning 92 (.357),the sights and my eyes.Great gun,fun gun but I dont hunt with it.A scope just dosnt seem right for it.Maybe differnt sights would give me the best of both worlds.I would like more comments please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Peep sights are the way to go. They cost more than standard sights but less than a scope. Target peeps sights are capable of fine accuracy and the hunting versions have larger aperatures to enable fast target acquisition. Flat sided winchesters take Williams FP 92/36, Lyman 66A. Tang sights are popular too - Lyman No. 2. There are several of both types out there.

Nosmo

·
Registered
303 Posts
mundumugu.....I'm gonna take a completely different line of thought here. You can have your eye doctor make glasses for you that will allow you to focus thru the center of the lens on the front sight of a rifle. Just tell him you need to be able to read thru the bottom of the lens, focus at rifle sight range thru the middle and have no magnifcation at the top. He'll fix you up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts