Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am thinking about a peep tang sight for a Marlin 1994 44 Mag 20".

Any Comments?

I am thinking about Marble’s peep tang sight, it the right price.  I don't want to spend a ton of money for $370 gun.

Tim

·
Registered
628 Posts
Tim,

I'll buy your rifle for $370, then sell it back to you for $670, and you won't have to worry about the price of the sight!!

:)

Lobo in NM

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put a Lyman tang on my Winchester 94 big bore. It wouldn't stay in one piece. I loctitied it but it still kept coming apart from recoil. I switched to a Williams peep and haven't looked back.JMHO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tim
   Just aword from an old codger who has been around the block a few times...Get the Marble Tang sight.It is superior to the lyman and it has adjustment for moving the bullet imact right or left .
tbc

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have 3 levers that I hunt with that carry the williams peeps and they are as fast as open sights to get on a target but way more consistent in the accuracy department.

3 other levers have the lyman Tang sights and I have never had one fall apart or come loose.

Marbles are a better Tang sight but for the type of shooting I do the lyman works just fine....Marko

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go with the receiver sight. The Lyman 66 series is a good choice. The tang sight...look cool but are not as usable as the receiver sight. The tang sight can be a bit awkward when carrying in the field.

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
Mostly use the tang sights when looking for a certain style...can't see where they do anything "better" or faster than a good reciever sight, but they do just look "right" on some guns. A repro. Win. 73 wth a reciever sight kind of makes my eyes hurt...and a BLR with a tang sight would do same thing to me.

For a gun that might get a lot of differnt loads used in a year (like your 44mag.) an easy to adjust reciever sight seems the much better choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
tang sights

Tim,

Not to cause any arguement, but everyone has their own personal favorite, and opinions.

Depending on your use, and personal likes, here are some things to consider. and of course these are my observations, I have owned all of the sights you are looking at and each has it's own advatanges:

Lyman: Low cost
Good if you shoot at a set distance, and don't
plan to make changes especially windage.

Williams: Great sight, if you have no tang.
Get the Target knobs.
Lock the elevation screw, after adjusting.

Marbles: Positive click movement elevation/windage.
Positive up position will not move w/recoil.

Lyman & Marbles will give you the longest sight radius.
I have Williams on a T/C and Marbles on 3 Levers & 1 Low Wall.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts