Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currenly shoot an in-line, with a 1:28 twist.

Question #1
I've been wanting to get a percussion rifle and put a tang sight on it for some long distance shooting, any suggestions for a 200 yd gun ?
Question #2
What features do I need to look for in order to shoot conicals or sabots from a percussion rifle ?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
"Doc" White makes just such rifles all the time. He takes nice wood and top quality locks and then puts a conical designed barrel in them. He has a sight if you want to check out his rifles.

For instance, I have three White rifles (inlines). Anyone that shoots conicals knows that for some reason, these White rifles just shoot conicals. They have a 1-24 twist in the .504 caliber and a 1-20 twist in the .451 caliber. These things will really shoot a conical bullet well. That is the kind of barrel I would be looking for.

So if I were building a long range conical shooting barrel, I would be looking for a fast twist conical barrel. For instance, Green Mountain Barrel Company sells or sold at one time a Hawkins percussion rifle. It had a 1-24 twist, and a 6x old time tube scope on it. It was made to shoot conical bullets. You might contact them and see if they have any of them barrel blanks around.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Lyman Great Planes Hunter" They have a 1 in 32" twist made for shooting conicals. I would also put a Lyman 57SML [peep sight] on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts