Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why I didn't think of this befor. For hunting black bears, elk, moose and bigger, the 210gr and 235 gr Barnes X would be the best. Use it as a two shot and AA1680 those thing should move about 2500-2400fps according to the loading manual.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Great minds think alike

Sir,

I have thought the very thing since I have been a 375 shooter, but haven't been able to find the data. My 375 is a 99 Savage, so I don't get penalized for pointed bullets.

Is it in the Accuratte Manual? The Barnes Manual only gives data for the 375cal Orginals. I have a bunch of IMR 4198, that is the powder I use on my straight walled Cartridges, but don't mind ponying up for some Accuratte powder if it allows the Xers to be used.

I'm also thinking that it may be hard to get good neck tension on this bullet, because of the no crimping groove.

Any thoughts?

Steve

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The data will have to be interpolated from the accurate manual. They don't specificaly load those bullets. I use a Lee Factory crimp die for bullets neck tension.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,023 Posts
In my T/C Contender carbine, I use the Hornady 225 Spitzer, 39.7 gr of H322 and a CCI BR2 primer. Gives good results.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I wrote Barnes, and the very nice gentlemen advised around a max load of 38 grains of 4198, but I expect I'll start off around 35, and head up a grain at time. I loaded 35.1 for my first batch behind a 220 grain horn flat point, it shot fairly straight, but the recoil was rather stout, surprisingly so.

They said that they have not tested the 210gr in 375win, and were not to be held accountable for the recommendation. He advised care, but also seemed excited by the prospect.

I'll look into a factory crimp die, the idea has a great deal of promise, for these odd loads espiecally. I'm guessing they are caliber specific, are they not?

Take care fellows, good shooting.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a heavier bullet, the rcbs 250fpgc with gas check it weighs 264gr as scast with a bhn15 loaded over 37.5gr of h335 get 1850 out of marlin 375. great load and will expand and punch on through. for more and better heavy loads look on sixgunner.com at paco kelly chronicles.

·
Banned
91 Posts
375Win

210gr Barnes X 2425fps-2741fpe out of Savage M99A with 22in barrel.235gr Speer 2250fps-2641fpe out of same gun.Both Conley loads,chronoed by me.The velocities you gave should be out of range (FA18cub),surely for the Marlin and Win M94.Because of reduced powder to clear in action 2.56.That is not a concern in Savage,as I'm at 2.66-2.68.Also pressure is not a concern,and 22in barrel gives me 50fps+ in velocity over Marlin and Win M94.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts