Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My personal views on common brand name budget variable hunting scopes indicate that you can get into a budget scope and get a reasonable level of performance . No free rides here there are limitations.
My general rules with variables is forget about the top end magnification.To explain a 2 to 7x is quite acceptable but goes down hill real quick after 5x. Clarity is the problem. With a 3-9x, 6 is the acceptable limit. Again a 2-8x by 32 is really only ok at 5x. Shooting with a spotlight illustrates the above rule of thumb as compared to daylight at the rifle range.
Compare the budget with a mid range or above. Place the two side by side, the difference will be apparent.
The "no common name" budget models sometimes come up to the mark. Luck of the draw. Put some significant recoil into these scopes an see if they hold zero. In summary low recoil low price OK.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
In scopes, you get what you pay for. Mostly.

Yes -- mostly. But the only two scopes I have ever had break within the first half-dozen shots (internal adjustments just went kaput) were, 1.) a cheap no-name Chinese scope; and 2.) a Leupold.

More money spent puts the odds in your favor, but top price is no guarantee of top quality. If I were going to bet, I'd bet on the high-dollar scope -- but I have had many, many budget scopes that gave me great service for years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only initial failure was at shot number 9 on a 308W 7600 with factory Winchester 150gr. Scope was a 3-9x40 llluminated reticule Nikko. A made in China model . A lens cracked, put the replacement price into a higher price made in Japan 30mm tube 1-4. This appeared similar to a Schmidt & Bender African Game scope. The
Nikko has an illuminated reticle which is reasonable. A lot heavier in weight than other scopes. Price is twice the made in China products. It is designed for low light in European forests on boar. Think they call it the Euro range. The real advantage of this unit is it is so close to true 1x. You are able to shoot with both eyes open. in short a super Red Dot. Perfect for running game. What really gets under my skin is the majority of 1x scopes are at least 1.2x and not really two eye open units. You probably guessed, hunting is my first priority. You must be able to take shots as they come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts