Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some pet loads for a 338 Win Mag. The loads will be used for hunting deer,elk,moose,grzzly and buffalo. Currently I am looking at using a 225 gr nosler or hornady with reloader22,reloader19 or IMR 4350 .
Thanks in Advance

Straight Shooting
Budweiser

·
Banned
20 Posts
Hey bud,

I have a Rem 700 and have done alot of shooting with it looking for a good load. My gun really likes 71.0 gr H 4831 and 250 gr Nosler Partitions. I get ~ 2700 fps and 1" groups. I haven't shot anything big with it (1- 100# doe) but expect it to get there attention. I am in the process of load development with 210 and 225 gr Noslers for a bit flatter shooting at elk. Good luck and let us now what you find.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,155 Posts
My old Ruger 77 liked Reloder 22 (max listed loads) with the Nosler 210 and Hornady 225. I don't know what the velocity was, but accuracy and trajectory were superb out to three hundred yards, which was the longest range I had available to shoot.

Interesting note- I met John Nosler at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation convention in Feb. 1992 in Salt Lake City, and he gave me a handful of the then-new 200gr Ballistic Tips. Once I worked up a load, I shot an amazing 1.5" group at 300yds with those bullets. Never shot any game with them though...

IDShooter

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use 72.5 grains of RL-19 with 230-grain Winchester FS (lubalox coated), or another grain or two extra with RL-22. These are "maximum" powder charges that produce around 2,800 fps from my .338WM. I use CCI Magnum primers.

For slower handloads with 210-grain Nosler Partition, try a minimum of 68.0 grains of H4831, to a very "careful maximum" of 75.0 grains (2,648 fps to 2,880 fps). Use Winchester WLR magnum primers with this one.

The .338WM is a great cartridge to reload for. There are a great number of bullets you can use, starting at 160-grains in weight, all the way to 300. I have killed several moose with the 230-grain FS, most with one shot through the lungs. But my last moose dropped to one 250-grain NOS from a Federal HE load. The closest I have killed moose with the 230-grain FS has been 100 yards, and the farthest (1-shot kill) at about 175 yards. The one killed with the 250 grainer was about 250 yards away. The .338WM is perhaps the most popular cartridge in Alaska. The .300WM and the .30-06 are also very popular, and these three outnumber all other cartridges by a very wide margin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
338 Mag

Ray
Thanks for your reply and thankyou to everyone who answered my post. It is very much appreciated. I have bought some powder and bullets.

Straight Shooting
Budweiser

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Budweiser, I'll through a load your way, using IMR 4831 powder ( 71.5 grains ) gives 2810fps on the Chrony. It is a very good and accurate load for hunting big game. I have gotten very good results with this load using the Nosler partition 225 grain bullet on moose and elk.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Budwieser -

I neck size my once fired cases so the 338 headspaces on the shoulder. Went from 2.5 to 1.0 MOA. Best all around bullet has been Speer 225 gr with 76.0 grs R19 @ 2975 fps. Max load in Speer manual is 78.0 grs, but I seat to the lands and need a bit less powder for the Max Velocity.

Thumper is 300 gr Hawk with 67 grs of R19 @ 2475 fps. Does anything a 375 H&H will do with better penetration (.375 sectional density vs .305 for the H&H). Got 1.5 inch mushroom after 37 inches of wet newsprint, and 89% weight retention. Very good on sharks in 3 to 4 ft of water. "Adequate" for Griz.

Use the same bullet @ 2765 fps in the 338 RUM and it holds up, but hurts to shoot! Penetration is the same as the 338 Win, but you wind up picking up a lot of paper mache and the container needs to be renailed...adequate for Rhino and Cape buff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

loader

Thanks for the load data. I was wondering what powder goes good with a 300 gr bullet. Thanks for posting.

Straight Shooting
Budweiser

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Budweiser there is another bullet out you might give a try when you get a chance. It is not a cheap bullet but is just the ticket for real heavy game or bears in your neck of the woods. Swift has a .275 grain bullet out in there Swift A Frame that is a dandy. I haven't yet worked up my final load for it as yet, or I would give it to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts