Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good Afternoon Counselor,

I have had mine for about a year, and while waiting for my dies to come in, the army sent me to be stationed in D.C., so all of my load development is on hold for awhile.  My BLR is the priority when i make it  back home.

In factory loads, the only thing a fellow can buy are 200 grain silvertips, and where i think they would be adequate for deer, I expect a fellow would be much better served handloading for a general purpose round, and then defenitely if he wanted to something that was a little tougher, like bears and hogs.

I am going to load either a 225 grain sierra gameking, or a 250 hornady roundnose, and see which one shoots better, and that is what i plan on taking to the woods this year.  For bear or hogs, i think the partition nosler would be just about ideal,either in 225 or 250 grain form.  Hornady also makes a 200 grain spitzer bullet that has shown to be incredibly accuratte in my 350 mag, i expect it to be the same in the 358.  35 is my all time favorite rifle caliber, and everything that i have ever shot with anything 35, i have never needed to track.

My intended rifle powders for this cartiridge are all from IMR, 3031, 4320, and 4064.  

If you end up working some up before I do, i would love to hear your results.

Good SHooting,

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to use mine as a Hog/Bear gun as well. I am going to start with the Nosler 225 ballistic tip. I think this is a good all around and mid weight bullet. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I shoot the .358 Win in my Ruger M77 w/ a 22" bbl.  I currently use 250gr Hawk RT (.035) over 47.4 gr of Win 748 w/ Fed 215 primer.  I have it sighted in at 2.5" high at 100yds for a 200yd zero.  This load has been chronographed at 2402fps (3202fp).  I chose the 250gr over the 225gr mostly because I prefer a heavier bullet with lots of lead exposed.  I hope to harvest an elk this fall using this combination.  Later.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Lawyerman,
I use the 225 Ballistic Tip in my MRI Lone Eagle, but it has a long enough throat and there is no magazine to contend with. I have not tried them in my Savage 99 because the ones I have loaded will not fit the magazine. In my rifle I have been expirimenting with the 180 and 220 gr Speer Flat Points. These have been highly recommended by alot of other .358 shooters and I have getting really good accuracy so far though I have not finalized on a load. The only other loads I have tried have been with Unique and a 158 gr LSWC pistol bullet. Good Luck, Sean

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had planned on trying the Ballistic Tips as they are a medium weight bullet and should give good velocity with penetration. Some say that they are designed for light skinned only game though.

I have heard that anything Nosler in .338 or above they make tougher, knowing that these are primarily Elk and bear bullets. I suppose some people shoot deer with them but would figure that was the exception.

I will have to see what seating depth I can get away with in the BLR. I looked for a long time to find one, they only made 4 or 5 rifles in .358 and they ALL command a premium. I found the BLR new in the box for $525 so that cinched it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gentlemen,

I read that the over 30  ballistic tips are made a little stouter, i believe John Barnesess talked about that in repsect to a 338 win mag.  I do like ballistic tips, and use them mostly in my field guns, 270 and 7mm mag.  Accuratte as match bullets, and if put in the boiler room, they do their job as well, if not better,  as anything that i have used.

For my 35's i use them mostly in the woods, and don't expect to shoot longer than 100 yards.  For me i think that something  a little stouter, with a feature that will retard expansion, like a partitioned bullet or at the very least an interlock ring, will make sure the jacket stays on even if a fellow has to shoot through the critter's armor.  In my pointy 35s, the partition shoots very straight, and the flat base is no penalty for shots within 100 yards.  

My expirenece is limited with my 358, and I look forward to hearing how it turned out for you fellows.  

Take care,

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any 250 grain bullet and the recomended Winchester load of 748 will work just fine on any kind of game in the US if you limit your shots to 200 yards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Lawyerman... It's me 35hunter!  I see you got your rifle....LIke it ok?  You know I belive yours and mine are consecutive serial #'s, as the other duplicate calibers he had (they're all gone, all 16 of them) were consecutive.  Should have mine home from layaway pretty soon.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had good luck with the hornady bullets that are used on the lever revolution cartridges and speer grand slam 225gr with h4895 powder. I am at work if you are interested I can look up the exact info when at home. The hornady bullet took a pa whitetail on a gas pipeline at around 220 or 230

yards. The rifle was a ruger hawkeye stainless with timmeny trigger.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I have had good luck with the hornady bullets that are used on the lever revolution cartridges and speer grand slam 225gr with h4895 powder. I am at work if you are interested I can look up the exact info when at home. The hornady bullet took a pa whitetail on a gas pipeline at around 220 or 230

yards. The rifle was a ruger hawkeye stainless with timmeny trigger.
The OP or anyone else who posted on this thread will likely not care to see your info, as this thread is almost 11 years old :eek: However, some of the rest of us that like & shoot the fine .358 Win would like to see what your recipes are. Welcome to the site! :D

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
My 358 Stainless Hawkeye likes the 200gr Hornady Rn over 40grs of IMR4198. I get right at 2500fps and .75" groups.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The 225gr Accubond is to long for the BLR and Rem 700. Bullets of 225grs that work in the 358win are GameKing, Partition, Hawk and Trophy bonded. Speer makes a 220gr Hot Core FN that will work fine.

I think the 225gr is better than the 250gr bullets in the 358win where velocities are 2400-2470fps. Good for 250-300 yards impact velocity and trajectory.

I used the Hawk 225gr .030" RT for deer and it worked great big hole in and out. For pigs elk, moose I go with the .035" jackets for added penitration if its even needed.

The two powders I have used for the same 2430fps in my 20.5" barrel are TAC and H4895 with both the 225gr PT and GK. I hear 748 is good too.

I have shot a few bucks and a 200lb pig with the 200gr CLRN in my 35rem and have yet to fine a bullet. I would not expect to find a 225gr bullet in any animal under 400lbs.

ADDED I have a pet load using H322 and the hornady 200gr spire point at 2470fps not max but my rifle likes it

·
Registered
614 Posts
I plan to use mine as a Hog/Bear gun as well. I am going to start with the Nosler 225 ballistic tip. I think this is a good all around and mid weight bullet. We'll see how it goes.
You're going to have to try something else , as Nosler doesn't make a .358 225 Gr. Ballistic Tip . They introduced one a few years ago , and promptly dropped it , for some reason !
OP , my pet load is the 220 Gr. Speer over 50 Gr. of W-748 . I've taken a 900+ Lb. Moose and several deer with it . All oneshot kills , I could have put a couple more into the Moose , but I knew he was dead , it just took him a few seconds to figure it out ! Love my .358 , it's the least tempermental cartridge I've ever loaded for . I have some 225. Sierras loaded , with the same charge of W-748 and have put them on paper , they group fine . I just haven't used them on game yet , I'm not a big Sierra fan , or at least not their hunting bullets .

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gents,

Whoa, this one is an old one. I like looking at these old posts, reminds me where I was in the world then, and I was just starting out with the 358 and the Browning BLR. Killed a very nice 12 point with that rifle that year, 225 Sierra right behind the shoulder, my first ever 358 meat making episode.

In the last eleven years......the 358 has been my primary hunting rifle for woods or mixed terrain hunting, and it doesn't disappoint. It has been used on more game than any other rifle that I own at this point, and has become the default gun with the 225 Nosler and H4895.

Oneoldsap is right, they dont make a ballistic tip anymore, but they did in 2002!

Well fellers, I'll update ya'll with it here in 11 years, en shalla.

Steve

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gents,

Whoa, this one is an old one. I like looking at these old posts, reminds me where I was in the world then, and I was just starting out with the 358 and the Browning BLR. Killed a very nice 12 point with that rifle that year, 225 Sierra right behind the shoulder, my first ever 358 meat making episode.

In the last eleven years......the 358 has been my primary hunting rifle for woods or mixed terrain hunting, and it doesn't disappoint. It has been used on more game than any other rifle that I own at this point, and has become the default gun with the 225 Nosler and H4895.

Oneoldsap is right, they dont make a ballistic tip anymore, but they did in 2002!

Well fellers, I'll update ya'll with it here in 11 years, en shalla.

Steve
Does anyone know why Nosler discontinued their 225 Gr. Ballistic Tip . I remember when they introduced it . They said it was for the Whelen , and it had a Buckskin colored tip on it ! I didn't have my .358 then , and I knew they weren't the ticket for the .35 Rem .

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sir,

You know, I have no idea. I have a box of them that I bought back then still, although they are loaded for the 358 and the Whelen, and intend to save them for something quasi-special. I remember that the alledged that the jacket was thicker, and it seemed sensible to me, considering the impact velocities wouldn't be too traumatic.

If memory serves, Nosler replaced it with an Accubond, or at least had. That is the curious thing, as I see a bonded bullet being a good choice if impact velocity is in the higher/ magnum range, and the 35 rounds that this will fit- namely the Whelen and the 358 (if loaded very carefully) are going to be even tempered in terms of impact velocity. So, why go bonded?

I think we happy few of 35 guys are terribly misunderstood. I guess the good news is, that with the few bullets that are available, it doesn't take too long before a fellow has tried everything.

Best to you Sir.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts