Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given @500 once(several) fired 20 gauge Peters hulls.  My only loading manual does not list Peters as a hull option.  What hull type should I use (assume Remington target) to load these Peters with 17.0 gr. of 7625, 7/8 oz #8 and WinAA20 wads?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Alan...Look on the inside of these cases and tell me if they are one piece basewad or do they have a composition base wad. Also are they six or eight point crimp.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morning James -

These hulls have the one piece base wad and they have an 8 point crimp.

God Bless,

Alan

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Alan..Those are good hulls! I'll get back to you tonight, since we are leaving for the flats on the Gulf in a few minutes.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
OK, Alan...I'm back with you. The hulls you have are the same as the Rem. brand target hull. This hull was brought out to compete with the Win AA as the RXP, both having a solid basewad. There is a difference in how they are made...The WW hull is compression formed and the R-P hull is unitized together. This means nothing as to loading. Any load listed for the RXP, Remington/Peters Target/ Remington Unibody, or "Unitized" hull is the same. Otherwords any solid plastic basewad. They are listed as having a tapered sidewall, but unlike the AA it's very slight. The best wads I have found (pattenwise) in these hulls have been the RXP20 and SP20, depending on the shot payload.  The AA wad's base cup is a liitle small for these hulls, but many people use them because the legs fold and crimps can be regulated easy. They are not a high powder capacity hull and work better with dense powders.
Hope this helps....Best Regards, James

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Morning James -

Most helpful - thank you.  You wrote, "They are not a high powder capacity hull and work better with dense powders".  Would Universal Clays be considered a dense powder when compared to SR7625?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Alan...UC is a dense clean powder..7/8 oz shot-RXP20-16.0/16.5 grs UC @ 1200/1225 '/" is a nice target/light gsme load.
Bset Regards, James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts