Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .50 Hawken side lock and a traditions .50 side lock pistol, both are wonderfully fun to shoot. I use patched .490 round balls. I coat my patches in petroleum jelly and coat the area around the nipple with it as well to prevent soot from accumulating. This works wonders for clean up i find. My question is is does this harm the gun, I hear bore butter! bore butter! but would it be acceptable to simply use petroleum jelly even for storage protection. it is oil based and as such would keep water away correct? Wondering who would have any useful opinions on this. thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
very little wax if any. That parrafin and beeswax is just a nasty mess inside the barrel. I can't say what i use but wax is not the ingredient! I actually blend a couple oils that keep rust out yet add lubrication to the patch and steel.

This was the original color but ive since moved away from the yellow pigments as they can and will leach out, leaving a false rust color in the bore.

Goes on as a paste,

As you rub it into a patch or while loading a patch ball into the bore, the paste then turns into an oil film that wipes down the bore, adding a thin layer of rust protection and lubrication to the patch.

One month test outside which included half a dozen snow storms, rain and falling into the mud at some point until I called the test.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
cap n ball,

Welcome to the Forum. Your use of petroleum jelly for patches is fine. Throughout history people have used Crisco, spit, beeswax, lard, etc., etc. I suggest you use what works for you. I clean my muzzleloaders with hot soapy water, dry with patches and lube with Breakfree. For long term storage, I coat the bores with RIG gun grease or Mil Spec rifle grease. There are many products on the market for your arms. I follow the Old Army Manual.

Again, welcome to this site.

Webley

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Spit on it & it will go right in.

The patch that is. We tried to keep our nipples dry, anything that might clog them would be bad. Why do I feel so pervy? Oh because I am. ;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
My uncle uses Vaseline as a breech plug grease and then he coats the bore with it to store it. He really globs it in there.

I tried to tell him that he is not doing his gun any favors. Just before season he gets his gun out and pushes all the vaseline out with a patch. The patch comes out brown from rust.

Darin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts