Shooters Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't push a bronze brush down the bore from the muzzle end. Muzzle wear means inaccuracy. Shooting lead bullets in a 22LR does not require a bronze brush anyway. That just results in excess bore wear. Try a nylon brush if you must.
These days I find that that pulling a Bore Snek through a couple times is good enough. Any scrubbing is done on the chamber only.

Ok, maybe a dumb question (my personal area of expertise). Here goes ... if a soft metal like a lead lap or an aluminum cleaning rod can get imbedded with abrasive particals as advised everywhere, why can't nylon bristles or plastic coated rods? I mean, what is scotchbrite?

Just asking.
The real problem with aluminum in particular would be corrosion of the aluminum itself, i.e. aluminum oxide. Other than that I'm not sure what sort of abrasive would be present in a bore to damage the steel through cleaning. Even back in the day when I was marching in the legions, we cleaned the crap out of our M-16s with sectioned steel rods. I don't recall any rifle needing a barrel replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you realize how many times we sent a bore brush down the barrels of our M-16s and 1911s? Gazillions!!!! Eventually, if you scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed until your arms fell off, it may wear down the rifling. Even water will wear down stone after a few thousand years. I can guarantee that when I’m gone, the kids and grandkids and great-grandkids aren’t going to look down the barrels and say “WOW! He should have never used a brass/bronze brush.”

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Tend to stick to “general rules”...even when I have no PROOF that other ways actually cause harm to the barrel or chamber.

Will push a brush (when I use one) all the way through before reversing directions. If nothing else, does make the brush last longer.

The only excuse for a steel brush would be a neglected/rusty/pitted bore. Hard to do more harm to what’s already AFU.

Will push a patch all the way though a bore and remove it. Still don’t see the sense in drawing a filthy patch back though the bore..maybe lapping?

Diirty vs stained on stainless steel/plated revolver cylinder faces. It’s like dirty jeans vs stained jeans. Don’t care about stain discoloration, just get them clean.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,382 Posts
Other than that I'm not sure what sort of abrasive would be present in a bore to damage the steel through cleaning.
Hard Carbon from many of the "Extreme" powders, and tungsten from some of the new sintered bullets. Then all the stuff from primers; in particular the new savior "no-lead" types.
They contain sensitizers including: Aluminum oxide, bismuth oxide, barium oxide.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure why we think that a softer metal like bronze will hurt a harder metal like steel. All you’re doing is wearing down the bronze bristles prematurely.
Soft materials can erode harder. Just takes a lot more motion and longer to do so. Doubt seldom reversing in the bore will do measurable harm but could if done all the time and over a long enough time. You’ll probably need barrel replacement from normal wear from firing before a soft brush damages the bore significantly. The harder the brush the faster the harm. But again how long it takes to damage and how much are the question.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts