Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I was once really dumb about using a computer posting pictures I wanted to share. I had all I could do to get the computer on the internet let alone share pictures. A kindly old fellow in AZ. took pity on me and got me going in the right direction on the easy way to post pictures.

Resizing pictures is a challenge for many of us and was for me for sure. He suggested I go to a photo storage sharing site and provided a link, was sonyimagestation.com No longer there but they setup a process so our pictures went to shutterfly.
Shutter fly how ever isn't a site who's 3d party sharing works on all forums. A new one had to be found many went to Photo bucket and that worked great till recently.

Now many I know are checking out other sites and have found several that will size the picture for you and allow easy sharing on this site and others too.

Picturetrail.org works and is easy to upload pictures to. Draw back is limited storage of pictures.

postimage.org is also a good site and seems space in not limited.
My favorite raised bed watering system.

imgurpictures is also a pretty good site I am finding which is new and I am still playing with.

All these site size the picture for you and allow you to post them on many forums. If you do not have 25 post or been a member for 10 days you have to use a 3d party picture hosting site like above to post pictures here.
When Photobucket went ten toes up on me I got that Imasomething or other. Works pretty good and it's up load picture's at the size you want. Mine are always 600 pic's on the long side!

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Nvshooter-- My forehead hurts from slapping it. Why not?! It's just another 'drive' to the computer....but mine won't recognize it. It makes the Windows plug in sound but no drive shows up.
I can TAKE pictures by the dozen, but then they hide somewhere. ;) Sometimes I find them in the 'Gallery' but next time they're GONE!
I feel the same about email...I have so many filters that only about 10% are ever seen on my computer and that's how it'll stay. I do NOT want to deal with spam by phone.

·
Banned
4,927 Posts
My kid thinks I can take picture's with it, but I haven't a clue how!
Touch any screen icon that looks like a 35mm single-lens reflex camera. That will open the camera capability. Your phone may have cameras that face away as well as toward you. Just touch the "arrows" at the top-right of the screen if you see yourself when the camera turns on.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
OK, this was about tips for taking pictures with a smart (or other type) phone. Keep it there please?

Nothing to contribute? Be like Thumper.

RJ
I generally don't like using my cell, however I do it like I do with a camera. I take several pictures various ways to see what works best. Depending on the generation of your phone, lots of good editing and effects apps.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Some smartphones take really good pictures as well as a point and shoot or a DSLR. If you are using one for non professional purposes or if you're not into it as a hobby, then I suggest get yourself a smartphone with an HD cam so you can easily post photos online.
That has it's own set of quirks. My new phone has a better camera, but the old phone was easier and quicker to use.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Nvshooter-- My forehead hurts from slapping it. Why not?! It's just another 'drive' to the computer....but mine won't recognize it. It makes the Windows plug in sound but no drive shows up.
I can TAKE pictures by the dozen, but then they hide somewhere. ;) Sometimes I find them in the 'Gallery' but next time they're GONE!
I feel the same about email...I have so many filters that only about 10% are ever seen on my computer and that's how it'll stay. I do NOT want to deal with spam by phone.
Jack, do you understand topic?

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
I went to a new phone purely because I had seen some cracking photos taken by friends on a hunt. I told the girl at the store all I needed was a phone and one which took photos, so I got the very base model.
It does take good photos and using Windows Live Photo Gallery and Drop box I can do much of what I want.
Reduce size etc etc. Windoes Live Photo Gallery allows me also to adjust things and cheat, like dimming over exposed shots and cutting out bits I didn't need. The joy is, when I go out for an evening hunting I do not have to haul along another camera.
Also anytime I don't have a camera, then I always have my slim line mobile tucked in my top pocket for those unexpected chances to record something important like this harvest of apples. The nut stick was bound with thick string twelve months ago in an experiment to see if it would produce the corkscrew type sticks normally found with honeysuckle bound round them. It is working but will take a few seasons to get a result.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not to good at all with this stuff but I've got a site to download photo'a to that is great for this. No need to resize some where else or even on this site if you either don't know how or just don't want to.

Imgur is the site

Once you get your deal with the site and can us it, click on "Add Image". After the image loads you can see it right in front of you, "left click on the image". A new screen will come up with just the photo and a list of things to do on the right. At the very bottom of that list In small letters you'll find a deal that say's "image size" very botton. In it you'll find different size 's to do something with, all I do is post photo's. Click on "large thumbnail", then go up the list to BBC code and click on it. The box with it will flash green. Now come back to here and figure out where yuo want the imge. Left click and that cursor will be there. Now next to it, right click. Box will come up nd you'll find the word "paste". Click on it and that code for the image will coe up. Post the thing on here and the photo will come up with it! If I can do it, anyone can !

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I'm not to good at all with this stuff but I've got a site to download photo'a to that is great for this. No need to resize some where else or even on this site if you either don't know how or just don't want to.

Imgur is the site

Once you get your deal with the site and can us it, click on "Add Image". After the image loads you can see it right in front of you, "left click on the image". A new screen will come up with just the photo and a list of things to do on the right. At the very bottom of that list In small letters you'll find a deal that say's "image size" very botton. In it you'll find different size 's to do something with, all I do is post photo's. Click on "large thumbnail", then go up the list to BBC code and click on it. The box with it will flash green. Now come back to here and figure out where yuo want the imge. Left click and that cursor will be there. Now next to it, right click. Box will come up nd you'll find the word "paste". Click on it and that code for the image will coe up. Post the thing on here and the photo will come up with it! If I can do it, anyone can !
Yahoo/Flicker also does this. Easy to use.

Someone mentioned postimage.org instead of photobucket. I have to try it soon to see if it works right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Photobucket has killed forum content across the internet. I guess they basically shut it down and held your pics for ransom. I think $400 was the going price to get them back. I heard there was a way to sneak your pics back but not sure if it still works. I've been using Postimage for a while but keep my pics backed up on thumb drives that I got free.

I have a stupid phone but it's dying slowly so I guess the cheapest "smart phone" on the market is in my future. I don't text-makes my kids crazy-and I use a good digital camera for pics.

ken

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Photobucket has killed forum content across the internet. I guess they basically shut it down and held your pics for ransom. I think $400 was the going price to get them back. I heard there was a way to sneak your pics back but not sure if it still works. I've been using Postimage for a while but keep my pics backed up on thumb drives that I got free.

I have a stupid phone but it's dying slowly so I guess the cheapest "smart phone" on the market is in my future. I don't text-makes my kids crazy-and I use a good digital camera for pics.

ken
You can get refurbished at a decent price. I just got an S4 for a friend and armored it so it won't get destroyed. It's a decent phone and relatively easy once you start to understand the quirks of smart phones. Also takes reasonable poctures.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
Photobucket has killed forum content across the internet. I guess they basically shut it down and held your pics for ransom.
That's not universally true. I still use and continue to post pictures from them for free. I have my "bucket" locked and private, and have never had an issue. Seems to be those who don't, and I suspect some websites such as face-space, which continually troll photos and data from it; have the issue.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
That's not universally true. I still use and continue to post pictures from them for free. I have my "bucket" locked and private, and have never had an issue. Seems to be those who don't, and I suspect some websites such as face-space, which continually troll photos and data from it; have the issue.
Not really, they did make a comment about the bandwidth problem with linked pictures.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
I know the claimed complaint, my exception was that I still continue to use them for everything here. Short of now having a mountain of ads if not using the app, I'm not limited or getting nasty-grams from them.
That's why I suspect it certain websites and how they managed their (individual users) settings.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I know the claimed complaint, my exception was that I still continue to use them for everything here. Short of now having a mountain of ads if not using the app, I'm not limited or getting nasty-grams from them.
That's why I suspect it certain websites and how they managed their (individual users) settings.

Well regardless of exactly why they did what they did, it was done really badly and in essence most of the people I know walked away from Photobucket and won't go back including me. And since we're way off topic, how about we move it back to subject! ;)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Ya know, after all is said and done you'd probably be better off with a decent digital point and shoot. They are designed to take picture's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Greetings...

I got a "point and shoot" for Xmass to do just that. Worst possible thing under the whole tree. I'm not certain if we're allowed to mention brand names, but I'm certain I'd only recommend it to an enemy...

After spending about 2 hours attempting to follow it's Japanengrish to get it to pair with NOT the computer mind you, but to my cable modem - while constantly seeing the bright red advertising on the box saying how easy it was, I finally gave up, and decided to spend YET another $10 on it's bizarre shaped mini USB cable. Which didn't come in the box. After going to it's forum, pretty much everyone there all admitted that yeah, it's so called WIFI thing is a total lie...

I did discover why it wanted to pair with my cable modem soon enough. It downloaded about an hours worth of complete garbage to my computer. None of which I've ever used or needed...

Of course it was a total surprise to discover that it's battery life is measured in seconds - not hours. So after you do finally get it plugged in (two weeks later - to get the cable) make sure you have at least 3 fully charged batteries to get your pictures off the camera to your PC. Thank God they were dirt cheap. But there we go again, nickle and dimed to death...

Wasn't I surprised to find out that it couldn't draw power from it's Frankenstein hook-up USB! It still requires fully charged batteries to operate even connected to USB!

It claims to take 20 MegaPixel pictures. All it takes is cheap junk low resolution jpegs. That's all it CAN do. They didn't write THAT on the box... Considering that it cost nearly $200 plus all the crap I had to buy just to make it function as advertised - I'd never buy anything from that company ever again. I can guarantee you know the brand.

While sitting there one day, debating with myself if throwing it across the room would be satisfying enough to justify it's cost, I had just come to the conclusion that it would, when my wife suggested I use that old phone I'd used for years, delivering. It's only 2 megapixels, but that was always just fine in the past! And sure enough, it used a standard mini USB...

I ended up not throwing, but instead cursed it. Someday, someone is going to ask to borrow it. No doubt, I'll conveniently forget to ask for it's return.

Use an old phone. I can see why every camera shop in town went out of business...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts