Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the new Acera made it in late last week. So as promised here are some pictures of the new one, Browning Acera Battue 300WM. I also put my other Acera in there just because, its a .30-06. I've had the -06 for about 9 years now and she'll put 5 in 1" regularly. I still need to load up some rounds for the 300WM and get it to the range. I picked up some 220 gr Hornady Interlock RN and some 200 gr Gamekings to try. Will have a range report after this next weekend hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
That looks pretty compact for a 300WM. How long is the barrel? I like the Schnabel forend, but the comb looks "odd" to me. It has a radius shape that I can't recall ever seeing, before. When you shoot it, let us know if it fits your cheek well or if it slaps you around a bit, when you fire the gun. One thing I can see right away is if you put a scope on it, you're probably going to want one of those lace-on wraps to go around the comb.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Very cool looking European short-range banger!. I'd figure the other side of the butt to have the Euro angular cheek piece too(??) I've always like the Battue style short barreled rifles and have been tempted a couple times on Tikka versions. Is the Acera still produced for European sales? How do you like the iron sights? And, will you be scoping it?

Nice rifle!:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That looks pretty compact for a 300WM. How long is the barrel? I like the Schnabel forend, but the comb looks "odd" to me. It has a radius shape that I can't recall ever seeing, before.
Broomjm,

The barrel is 20", you may recall the thread I started about it a week or so ago that generated talk back and forth. The comb is indeed curved, its a European gun and the style is quite popular over there. Its called a hogsback butt stock.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very cool looking European short-range banger!. I'd figure the other side of the butt to have the Euro angular cheek piece too(??) I've always like the Battue style short barreled rifles and have been tempted a couple times on Tikka versions. Is the Acera still produced for European sales? How do you like the iron sights? And, will you be scoping it?

Nice rifle!:D
Thank you for the compliments.

You're right on about the cheek piece. I love the irons on it. The rear sight is mounted on a quarter rib and with the fiber-optic front sight I aquire the sight picture instantly when I bring it to my face. I wont be scoping it, at least not in the immediate future. As far as I know the Acera is no longer produced in Europe, at least it wasnt catalouged on Browning Int'l last time I checked.

I attached a picture of the cheek piece and rear sight for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dare I ask the price of one of those beautes?
You probably wouldnt believe me if I told you....

My father bought me the -06 as an X-mas gift when I was 14, paid $575 NIB.

I picked up the 300WM on gunbroker for what I thought was a steal at $604 NIB.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Thank you for the compliments.

You're right on about the cheek piece. I love the irons on it. The rear sight is mounted on a quarter rib and with the fiber-optic front sight I aquire the sight picture instantly when I bring it to my face. I wont be scoping it, at least not in the immediate future. As far as I know the Acera is no longer produced in Europe, at least it wasnt catalouged on Browning Int'l last time I checked.

I attached a picture of the cheek piece and rear sight for you.
Thank you for the picture and I'm really glad you enjoy those European influences just like i do! I own a couple of CZ 550 FS rifles and the European influence is there in them as well. Best of luck and I do hope it's a rifle you use too! :D

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Oh, sure...NOW you show us the near-side picture where the raised cheek piece is! :D

That's a pretty gun and since you got a good deal on it I'm betting it suits your needs perfectly and you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the picture and I'm really glad you enjoy those European influences just like i do! I own a couple of CZ 550 FS rifles and the European influence is there in them as well. Best of luck and I do hope it's a rifle you use too! :D
I too love the European styling on rifles....If I had a Steyr Manlicher full stock I could die a happy man:). I like to think of my Aceras as a poor mans Blaser or Merkel Helix. I really love the straight pull bolts, its a shame they haven't really caught on in America.

I'll definately be putting the battue to use as well, I intend to use it this year during the rifle season, assuming I can find a load it likes in time. My -06 has proven itself in the field several times over so I dont think I'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Hillestadj,

I am NOT trying to stir up the cold ashes of the earlier thread on the 300WM and 20" barrel, but since you have otherwise identical guns in '06 and 300Win Mag, I would be interested to know the results of some chronograph testing. Just "matter of fact" info, with no comments from the peanut gallery. ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be happy to provide that information when it becomes available. I dont have a chrono but I shoot with a guy that has one, Im sure he'd like to help me out. I shoot 180 gr bullets out of the -06 and intend to use 200-220 gr bullets in the 300WM. I could also load up some 180's for a head to head comparison though.

Might be a few weeks but I'll post results eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts