Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Dang, ammo is cheap compared to the cost of renting a helicopter.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
All I got on the screen was a note of error happening and to try again later.

·
Banned
397 Posts
It seems to be sporting, but somehow it just doesn't look right. I'm
surprised they didn't use a chain gun or maybe a small arial bomb.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Like Here

If more hunters would actively hunt hogs vs. sitting in the bars or around the hunting club campfire whineing about their populations,people would not be able to find enough hogs to resort to hunting from the air.

Fer shame !! -----pruhdlr

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If more hunters would actively hunt hogs vs. sitting in the bars or around the hunting club campfire whineing about their populations,people would not be able to find enough hogs to resort to hunting from the air.

Let me say again that this is not hunting, it is pure hog eradication, operated by the state. We have a huge problem down here now, and everyone is looking for answers. I don't think there are enough hunters to actually hunt them and make a dent in their population. They are like cockroaches. I will do what I can also with the state to see if our area could do the same thing. Cull them by air. I know I couldn't afford it alone.
I would love to sit in a stand and deer hunt without worrying about the hogs but the reality is they aren't going away. I can't charge folks $150-200 to kill them because they think that's too high of a price. But they don't see the year round feed that we do that costs money. It helps the deer, but it also helps the hogs.
Anyway, I didn't want to insinuate that this was hunting, because it wasn't. We're just trying to get rid of them

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Tom - check PM's

Ken

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
Tom's right. It's pest control. Sometimes they get really, really bad. You just can't shoot enough of them, even year around.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
How open are local landowners to allowing out-of-state hunters to come in and hunt hogs? How expensive is it, if you pay to hunt on a managed ranch? I harvested 3 hogs in CA, when I lived there, and enjoyed hunting for them much more than deer hunting, because it was a more active spot and stalk approach. What hunting techniques work well for hunting hogs in Texas?

I ask because I would very much like to take my son on a wild hog hunt. He thinks deer are just too pretty and gentle to kill, but says he wouldn't have a problem dropping the hammer on a nasty old hog.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It would be great to get on those things with full-auto and a bit of tracking fire. The shot on the big black hog at about 4:15 is pretty spectacular.

·
Registered
409 Posts
They need to relax on the regulations here in LA and let us hunt the managment areas off season with something more than rimfires.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah... there's a primitive weapons only WMA where I hunt (deer) and it's just full of hogs. I'd love to be able to take my 'regular' rifle down there and just drop hogs all day but you have to use season-appropriate firearms (shotguns with squirrel shot, regular ones, not black powder, for example, during squirrel season) which means black powder only during deer season down there.

·
Banned
61 Posts
We don't have feral hog trouble where I am but it sounds interesting to make a hunting trip to bust some hogs. We have counties and townships here and there used to be a bounty on pocket gophers when I was young. We could bring gopher feet into the township and get paid cash money to help stem the population of those rodents.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If it were reasonable I have a few guys who would love to come down and shoot pigs. A friend made a trip down a few years ago. They were great eating.

·
Banned
61 Posts

Up here, during hunting season, we can bring venison to a butcher shop and the state covers the processing fees. It then ends up in the our private food shelf system. They just can't be too shot up. Maybe this could be a way to get hunters out blasting away at hogs in the numbers necessary to make a difference.

·
Registered
573 Posts
wondering if they are collecting the meat or leaving it for the land owner? do they even call them to tell them there may be a whole heard of hogs dead and rotting in their field? seems like a terrible waste of meat that could be feeding the hungry but I do understand the need to reduce the hog population. seems like an AR running all tracer and an eotech would do pretty good at that type of job. Also looks like a lot of gut shot animals on the video. pretty sad that this is what they have had to resort to. maybe a bounty would be a better idea. pay for the feet and let the hunter keep the meat? Just nobody suggest they bring in wolves to hunt off the hogs. Only a matter of time before the greenies try it. In NZ the army used helocopter gun ships to depopulate the deer. They had imported the deer for hunting but they multiplied much faster than the hunting thinned them which led to thousands of deer killed from the air.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been told that the dead animals are collected and field dressed on the property then taken to be processed for the needy. I have tried three different processing plants for my deer and they all charge a fee of $35-$40 to process, prepare, and freeze for distribution to different homes.
I'm sure not all of the dead pigs are found, but if there wasn't some collection process in place, the state would catch heck.
This is just another way in which these hogs are so expensive to get rid of.
I have long ago forgotten that these hogs are just animals like any other.
They are held in low regard for a reason.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you have to do what you have to do! to many hogs probably causes global warming because of a lower crop yield which means you have to used that much more land to get the same amount of yield and more land means cutting down trees which means theres that many less trees to consume the extra fuel burnt from the extra land being tilled and that means less oxygen and then we will all die from global warming just to save a few hogs :confused: people just dont understand some things have to take place

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just remember the data quoted on the History Channel. To maintain a hog papulation' you must harvest 70% of the herd each year. Under ordinary conditions, that will not occur. So, the hog population will grow.

For example, this year; each hunter was allowed 5 anterless deer on our lease; none were taken, so that problem will worsen. The difference is the deer breed once a year and normally have one offspring, sometimes 2. However, hogs breed up to three times a year and have 8-12 offspring. Problem grows in a great big hurry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts