Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Bell & Carlson Carbelite stock on order. I'm planning on glass bedding it for my Mark X 338-06 AI.

Someone suggested to me that they come with pillar bedding. I can't seem to find that anywhere, but it got me thinking: Do people both pillar and glass bed the same rifle?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
some do but it's largely unnecessay. glass bedding is more than enough for the typical hunting rifle but gimmicks sell more rifles and services...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Pillar post bedding is suppose to give a more solid support for the action screws and takes a lot of the stock material movement out of the equation. It is normally used in conjunction with glass bedding the action. If you're new stock has an aluminum insert then pillar post bedding are probably not going to improve anything. Skim bedding should be all you need. Normally, pillar post bedding should be done by someone with experience and on a lot of stock, a bezel will need to be machined for the front screw for the best affect.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If you follow BR shooters bedding techniques, most will pillar and epoxy bed the actions. Both are not needed for s hunting rifle, but if you are like me, and want to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of your hunting rifle, bed it properly.

As far as that stock coming with pillars from the factory, I am not sure. Just checked, and see no mention of them being pillar bedded at all. They just mention you do not need to bed these. If you want a perfect fit and better accuracy from any rifle, bed it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Bell and Carlson stocks are reinforced around the action screw holes as are most synthetic stocks. They don't require added pillars. In fact, if you remove the material needed to fit the pillars, you've weakened the stock at that point. Quality pre-fitted synthetic stocks only require perhaps a bit of sanding in the barrel channel and a skim bed to precisely fit it to your rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts