Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after talking with a very experienced reloader, it was recommended that I try some of IMRs Trail Boss pistol/cowboy action powder under some lead pistol bullets for my 35 Rem. I made two different loads, one using a 158 gr LRN .358 sized bullet and also a few 125 gr cast TC .357 sized bullets. All shooting was done offhand with iron sights at 30 yds and was a lot of fun! I can see a lot of potential here, especially with the 125 gr pills. My starting loads were very similar to what IMR posts on their Trail Boss page for the 30-30 rifle and .357 Mag pistol. Trail Boss is really the way to go for lead bullet fun!

I also loaded some 158gr .357 JHP loaded with IMR 4895, they are a great low recoiling small game or possibly deer bullet. I just loaded to Speer's vol 13 minimum load data.

Anyone else out there doing this with their 30-30s or 35s?

·
Banned
199 Posts
We shoot a match out here we call "pat garrett", which is the same as single action but incorporates a rifle calibre lever action rifle as well. Steel targets are still at fairly short range so loads have to be kept down to avoid target damage, I use about 8gns of trail boss in my .30/30 94 with a 165gr cast bullet.

Haven't tried it in my .35 Rem yet, I only just bought the rifle. I am using 200gn cast bullets though, but with a stout load of 2206H behind them. I also use trail boss in my .38 specials, and .45/70 for plinking loads. A very versatile powder.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Well after talking with a very experienced reloader, it was recommended that I try some of IMRs Trail Boss pistol/cowboy action powder under some lead pistol bullets for my 35 Rem. I made two different loads, one using a 158 gr LRN .358 sized bullet and also a few 125 gr cast TC .357 sized bullets. All shooting was done offhand with iron sights at 30 yds and was a lot of fun! I can see a lot of potential here, especially with the 125 gr pills. My starting loads were very similar to what IMR posts on their Trail Boss page for the 30-30 rifle and .357 Mag pistol. Trail Boss is really the way to go for lead bullet fun!

I also loaded some 158gr .357 JHP loaded with IMR 4895, they are a great low recoiling small game or possibly deer bullet. I just loaded to Speer's vol 13 minimum load data.

Anyone else out there doing this with their 30-30s or 35s?
I do this w/ all my 35's. Kick in the pants, low cost fun.

I've started buying 158 grain hollow points in bulk for my 356 WIn, 358's, 350 Rem Mag and 35 WHelen.

Oh yeah...I also load them in my 357 mag once in a while, too.
;)

They are all good jug busters!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Gralewaj,

I know you meant traditional pistol bullets, but what I am loading in a 35 wildcat (358GNR) is loading the Hornady 180gr SSP, which gives good hunting performance at pistol velocity. If you read the thread I supplied in the post where you introduced yourself, it shows what you can expect.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use the 158gr JHP over a good charge of IMR3031, getting in excess of 2000 fps.....groundhogs spontaneously dis-assemble.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I use a 214 grain SWC .357 bullet meant for the 357 Max cartridge in my 35 Remy. It will do the deed with deer and other animals.

I don't shoot light pistol bullets very often in 35 Remy, but I do shoot the 180 grain Silhouette bullets.

My favorite bullet is the RD 195 grain FN for my all around shooting, plus I have used it in my 357 Max Contenders.

I figure if I am going to shoot this rifle, I might as well get the benefit of the power, never know what is going to pop up, like Mr. Ground Hog in a few days. Kill them all on Feb 1st, so we have a short winter.

Jerry

·
Banned
167 Posts
I shoot the various 158 grain cast bullets out of the .35 Rem rifles I've had, and have. I really like 11-11.5 grains of Unique for a pleasant, and reasonably quiet load. It has been verfy accurate in just about all the guns I've tried it in. I have some 125 RNFP bullets cast up, and I'll give them a try too. I've also shot the Rem. 158 SP bullets, but without checking, I would back off a bit, and work up with the jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Hornady Interlock and Remington Core-lockt perform identically. but Speer's 180 grain flat tip is a differnt story. It shoots flatter and out-penetrates any 200 grain bullet we've tried.

TR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts