Shooters Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am reloading reduced loads for 44 Spec/44 mag and 45 LC. Around 8 gr HP-38. Because the volume of powder takes up such a small space I want to place a thin cardboard wad over the powder to keep it in place. Any problems with that? I use a thin wad over powder in all my Black Powder loads with no probs. Anybody see any problems with smokeless?
Use Trail Boss powder it fills the case with lower pressures, a real joy to shoot.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm with the others, no filler needed with HP-38. I use Unique myself in both 44's and 45LC, no filler needed in them either. I've loaded 444 Marlins with a 240 gr cast bullet and 13 grs Unique and again, no filler and they work fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I never used hp38 because I'm a "unique" kind of guy.🤣 (I couldn't help it) Anyway unique doesn't seem to have any position sensitivity and gives me great results. I never use wads....

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have shot 1000's of round of reduced loads in 44 sp using HP-38 and W-231 without the need for a filler. They shoot great as is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
8 grains of Unique to soften my .44mag was the first reload I ever did. Came from Hornady about 40 years ago. No wad or filler. Anyway, a couple people mentioned bulged chambers with the wad. What causes the bulged chamber?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,467 Posts
Supposedly "detonation". If the wad is weighed as part of the projectile (?) then maybe it won't happen.

I use half a sheet of Northern 2 ply in my load using 2400 in my 45-70. The recipe from Lyman's 34th calls for "wasp's nest paper" but I'm not about to try and relieve a wasp from his/her paper.

As for TP or other wadding starting a fire? If (really big if) it were to stay lit in a 1300 fps wind? Maybe? NAAWW!

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
The wad accelerating and hitting the base of the bullet (or any other bore obstruction). The key with any kind of 'wad' over smokeless, where there is airspace, would seem to be to have the lowest possible mass.

·
Registered
346 Posts
8 grains of Unique to soften my .44mag was the first reload I ever did. Came from Hornady about 40 years ago. No wad or filler. Anyway, a couple people mentioned bulged chambers with the wad. What causes the bulged chamber?
8 grains of Unique with a 250 grain bullet is my standard load for my Uberti 73 lever action 45 colt. No fillers or nonsense.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am reloading reduced loads for 44 Spec/44 mag and 45 LC. Around 8 gr HP-38. Because the volume of powder takes up such a small space I want to place a thin cardboard wad over the powder to keep it in place. Any problems with that? I use a thin wad over powder in all my Black Powder loads with no probs. Anybody see any problems with smokeless?

I've never used "fillers" so no help there. But you're "reduced" load for the 45 Colt (if a 250gr cast bullet or more) is not a reduced load. According to the data I have you're at least 1/2 grain over max at "normal" 45 Colt pressure. Would be o.k. in the 44Mag, I don't know about the Special, never loaded for one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts