Shooters Forum banner

Pistolet Central J. A.

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RKK 
#1 ·
Hello
I could really use some help with a double barrel pistol I acquired:
Caliber - 44
Markings - “Pistolet Central J. A.” Across the top rib between barrels.
Break action, box locks external hammers, dual triggers. Has proof mark but can’t make it out. Is marked 44 caliber, and a #27 under the action, a 2 stamped on body of one hammer and a 7 on the other.
The only information I’ve been able to come up with is off of a South American auction site. It refers to the firearm as Garucha Pistolet. I have found some information that hints at it being made in Spain. I don’t believe it is anything of great value, but is an interesting piece. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Book Publication Font Art Paper

Trigger Air gun Grey Wood Gun barrel

Revolver Automotive design Font Trigger Machine
Trigger Air gun Grey Wood Gun barrel

See less See more
#2 ·
Kind of backed into this...was unaware of the pistols.

Until I got a (modern era) Rossi “Garracha” SXS .22RF (and the box was marked that way) ….which led to a .32SW version….and I wondered WHY?

Still now sure of the jump to “functional copy” small bore pistols “now” and where the original ( bigger bore) versions came from “then”. Because of the replica guns being popular in Brazil and Argentina, suspect they had to have their roots in a Spain or Portugal from sometime in the early cartridge era 1870’s-1880’s or even the pin-fire era (1850’s-1870’s).

Traced a .44 (CF) one much like yours to Eibar (norther Spain) ...but found they were making them in the 1920’s 1930’s (and perhaps beyond that).

Pre-internet, and I didn’t have the paper resources (in those elder days, we called them "books") or the translation ability to chase it any farther. A deep search could probably pick up the trail

Really don’t know where the original “hook” came from, but they definitely landed a long-lasting impression on that area of the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.