Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
maybe it shot wooden bullets... wow that is a large bore pistol. But because of the cap lock, it is not all that old. Early 1800s at most.

·
Banned
397 Posts
What is all the other stuff for? I thought a simple wooden
stick in the heart was sufficient. At least that's the way
my transylvanian Grandfather used to do it.

Zeke

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Maybe silver bullets for werewolves. I don't know. I saw alot of these kits while searching . Most of them did have wooden stakes and holy water. In WWII, I think the Russians used wooden bullets with garlic rubbed on them. I think it was to cause infection. A bit of trivia. I will add these photos I found earlier and had posted elsewhere to try to redeem this silly posting . The elaborate musket is in Chillon castle on the shores of Lake Geneva Swizerland where Lord Byron and friends Percy Shelly and Mary Shelly in the famous literary summer of 1816 spent some time and very soon after writings of Frankenstien, Dracula, etc. were published. I know that Bram Stoker was involved somehow to Mary Shelly. The castle is a beautiful place and the musket is wild looking.

http://maryvictrix.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/chateau-de-chillon.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=chillon+musket&m=text

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That is a beautiful castle. I never knew it existed. I have been to Switzerland many years ago, but went there to ski. Plus I have to admit, when I lived in Europe (Copenhagen Denmark) I ended up seeing so many castles, cathedrals, and such, that I stopped going out of my way to see more of them. Switzerland is a beautiful country though...

That rifle is kind of cool. And I did not know about the garlic on the wooden balls. That was interesting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
:D When hunting any dangerous game the ability to put a hole in the vitals from a distance is desirable.
I doubt the ability of a grizzly bear to survive having a simple wooden stake being driven through his heart. I have never seen an account of anyone doing it. Do you want the honor of holding the stake or swinging the hammer?:D

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I always thought these kits were neat ... seeing what they sell for, now I think they’re "really neat"!
Vampire killing kit sells for $12,000
The kit, a walnut box that also contained a crucifix, a pistol, a rosary and vessels for garlic powder and various serums, was bought by an anonymous phone bidder.
According to Sotheby’s, some experts believe that such kits were commonly available to travelers in Eastern Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries, while others think the kits were made in the early 20th century, possibly to cash in on interest in vampires sparked by the 1897 publication of Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
Elaine Whitmire, head of 19th century furniture for Sotheby’s, said she believes the kit was assembled in the early 20th century and sold to travelers as a souvenir.
"My opinion is this is a memento that you bought while you were in Europe," she said. "I doubt it was cheap to buy."
A label on the kit says: "This box contains the items considered necessary for persons who travel into certain little known countries of Eastern Europe where the populace are plagued with a particular manifestation of evil known as Vampires."
The vampire killing kit was part of Sotheby’s sale of 19th century furniture and decorative works of art.
The auction house did not identify the seller of the kit. The price includes Sotheby’s auction house’s commission.
1. The efficient pistol with its usual accouterments 5. A Syringe
2. A quantity of bullets of the finest silver 6. A wooden Crucifix
3. Powdered flowers of garlic (one phial) 7. Holy Water
4. Flour of Brimstone 8. Prof Blomberg’s New Serum
http://www.surnateum.org/English/surnateum/collection/Cryptozoologie/rhesus3.htm

This one sold for $14,850!!!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
:D When hunting any dangerous game the ability to put a hole in the vitals from a distance is desirable.
I doubt the ability of a grizzly bear to survive having a simple wooden stake being driven through his heart. I have never seen an account of anyone doing it. Do you want the honor of holding the stake or swinging the hammer?:D

Man kills grizzly with knife....

http://outdoornewsdaily.com/index.php/archives/546

IIRC, there was one killed by a guy who repeated stabbed it with arrow, holding the arrow in his hand as the bear ripped the crap out of him - was in one of the gun rags a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
For vampire loads I just go to a religious store and buy up all the tiny little silver crosses they have. I then load one ounce of crosses into each barrel of my 12 gauge ML double over 3 3/4 drams 2f Goex with card and fiber wads. I've never needed a second shot, when a vamp takes an ounce of silver crosses anywhere on the torso they are dead right there, don't even kick, and don't leave a messy blood stain either, just a pile of dust to vacuum up. Do be careful how you dispose of that vacuum cleaner bag.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I imagine a 26" or 27" set of barrels would work well for fast wingshooting on flying vamps too.:) A flashlight affixed of course. For muskets a wooden bayonet is what is needed. Ok i'm stopping now...

·
Registered
455 Posts
My brother and his business partner Frank, who was a bit of a wise guy, were driving down the street when they saw a suveyor carrying some wooden stakes and a hammer. Frank pulled over and asked the guy if he got any? The surveyor said got any what? Frank replied "Vampires. Isn't that what you're hunting." My brother said he thought the guy was going to put a stake in Frank. ha ha

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
My brother and his business partner Frank, who was a bit of a wise guy, were driving down the street when they saw a suveyor carrying some wooden stakes and a hammer. Frank pulled over and asked the guy if he got any? The surveyor said got any what? Frank replied "Vampires. Isn't that what you're hunting." My brother said he thought the guy was going to put a stake in Frank. ha ha

That's a classic! :D I hope you don't mind but for as much as they survey here in Florida, I don't I can help but to use that one as my own ... :D We have two seasons here, "snowbird" and "survey".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Maybe silver bullets for werewolves. I don't know. I saw alot of these kits while searching . Most of them did have wooden stakes and holy water. In WWII, I think the Russians used wooden bullets with garlic rubbed on them. I think it was to cause infection. A bit of trivia. I will add these photos I found earlier and had posted elsewhere to try to redeem this silly posting . The elaborate musket is in Chillon castle on the shores of Lake Geneva Swizerland where Lord Byron and friends Percy Shelly and Mary Shelly in the famous literary summer of 1816 spent some time and very soon after writings of Frankenstien, Dracula, etc. were published. I know that Bram Stoker was involved somehow to Mary Shelly. The castle is a beautiful place and the musket is wild looking.

http://maryvictrix.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/chateau-de-chillon.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=chillon+musket&m=text
The other author at lake Geneva was John William Polidori (Lord Byron's doctor/ drug supplier). The literary game was a contest for writing short horror stories. The original dark and stormy night. Mary Shelly presented the draft of Frankenstein, Polidori presented Vampyre. Lord Byron who fancied himself a writer had drawn the #3 position threw his manuscript into the fire, went to his room and pouted for the rest of the trip.

Bram Stoker's relationship to this group occurred some 70 years later during the plagiarism trial of the estate of J Polidori vs B Stoker. The ruling was that plagiarism had occurred but time had placed the concept into the public domain. Stokers work was better written IMO. Maybe just a change in literary styles over time.

Seek out a copy of the series of penny dreadfuls "Varney the Vampire" A for runner of modern comic books.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For vampires, I just take off my canvas tenny-runners and wave my white, cotton stocks at `em.
Better than garlic!
Lestat turned 10 shades of green and flew away. Works for muggers too, though the folks at Geneva sent me a letter saying I was in violation of biological warfare accords.
I noticed they sent a letter. They wouldn't dare send a personal representative ... heh. :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bram Stoker's relationship to this group occurred some 70 years later during the plagiarism trial of the estate of J Polidori vs B Stoker. The ruling was that plagiarism had occurred but time had placed the concept into the public domain. Stokers work was better written IMO. Maybe just a change in literary styles over time.
Thanks for correcting me. It has been a very long time since I was told about this in school and I did not recall the details.

Evidently Rhode Island is a gathering place of vampires.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for correcting me. It has been a very long time since I was told about this in school and I did not recall the details.

Evidently Rhode Island is a gathering place of vampires.

My son got an assignment in Lit. class to write a report on Lord Byron's submission to the short story contest on "The Dark And Stormy Night". He earned the extra credit. I had heard of Polidori but just barely. The oldest surviving "comic book series" that is avalible in its entirety is a collection of penny dreadfuls titled Varney the Vampire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts