Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to a small gun show this weekend to see if I can't either sell my Redhawk outright or trade it for a Marlin CB 45 Colt (if any are available).  What do I need to watch out for when purchasing a used lever action?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,155 Posts
Alan,
    Since the Marlin Cowboy rifle is a fairly new release I would think any problems with a used one would be pretty easy to spot. Check it for function, look through the bore, make sure stock and forearm are tight etc. When you get into older rifles, especially Winchesters which are cleaned from the muzzle, you have to watch out for crown or rifling wear at the muzzle. Also, some old rifles have developed excess headspace (this I have read!) and without gauges I don't know how you would check for that.
      If you stick to your plan to get a Cowboy Rifle I think you will be safe unless the rifle shows obvious signs of misuse. FWIW I have only purchased two used rifles ever and they have both been excellent. I think mostly people get rid of guns because they want something new or &#36&#36. Have fun!!         IDShooter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts