Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my property to a manageable point and with the holidays approaching, not sure how much time I'll have to make many trips to the range, so I started digging around to see what ammo I have loaded and thinking about what I haven't shot for awhile and what I would like to shoot.

I may take my .204 with my remaining test loads to shoot them up and get that brass ready for reloading with the best loads I have tested (so far). Various powders with 32 gr. VMax and 32 gr. Varmaggedon. Some 39 gr. Sierra Blitzkings and 40 gr. VMax.

I haven't shot my O3-A3's in forever and was gifted several hundred 150 gr. Hornady FN bullets and loaded up a bunch of them with WW 760, 4895 and Varget. The loads I have should be around 2800 fps and fun for off hand but I will start on the bench since I haven't shot these rifles in many years.

Haven't shot my 98 Mauser Bolt action 25-06 for a couple of years and have some 100 gr. Sierra's, 115 gr. Nosler, and 117 gr. Hornady's to shoot up. Various powders. Gonna try all of them @ 300 yds to see how they do.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Lastly, I have been medically cleared to shoot my 9.3 X 62 and have some Speer 270 gr. and 285 gr. PPU. All should be in the 2200 fps. range. We will see how my shoulder holds up. :D

Wood Solution Ammunition Flooring Drink

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

I did throw a scope on this, can't remember which. Maybe and old Weaver or Leupold. I'll double check eye relief before firing. :cool:

Weather is supposed to be partly cloudy and in the 70's. Ideal day. This range gets soggy when wet and 90% chance of rain for Thanksgiving, so I need to get it in now. lol

Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Hope you have a great day. I, too, need to get to the range. First have to mount a scope on the grandkids present. A C
Z 457 Scout .22 lr. All the best on your endeavors.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. Over coffee with the wife this morning I was laying out my plans and stated I was going to be shooting a couple of rifles that I haven't had out in a long time. Her response was that she didn't see how I could EVER shoot all of the rifles I have. DAMN...she's onto me. :D

I probably won't bring my .204 as I have at least three "known" loads for it. I may swap out my .308 where I did a little Stock work, or one of my 6 mm/244's. Maybe my 270 bolt, but my #1 all of a sudden quit shooting a known load for it.

Decisions, decisions...lol

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
Start small and work up. It would be a shame to blow a shoulder on the first shot and have all that ammo laying around unfired.

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well...it worked out well. I decided to keep it manageable. I brought my 25-05 (98 Mauser), my sporter O3-A3, and my 9.3 X 62, I spent about 7 1/2 hours there on Wednesday, so another rifle would have just complicated issues. I can only share a few photos, as I need to sort though some of the targets and data still.

I will share this 15 shot target from my O3 @ 100 yds. for now, and although I think I can do better, I am pleased. I am still surprised at how well your eyes line up with peep sights. This load was part of a batch of 150 gr. flat nose bullets that I had gifted to me (about 800). I haven't shot this rifle in probably 25 years. It was my off-hand queen for competitions back in the day. I'm also including a photo of the old Whiteline pad that is thoroughly crushed. lol I think I need a new recoil pad.

Amber Orange Circle Symmetry Wood

Musical instrument Wood Boat Loom String instrument

I do have a question. All of my 30-06 loads had the primer back out slightly. Just enough to be able to notice when running your thumb over the base (few thousands of an inch maybe). I had one cracked neck, but am giving that a pass as all of the brass were range pick ups. I toss any brass that is excessively dirty or dented.

This particular load is 150 gr. Hornady Flat Nose - 54.0 gr. WW 760. No exact load for that bullet, but 53/54 gr. is the book minimum for other style 150 gr. bullets.

Food Rectangle Table Gas Cuisine
Hand Drinkware Beer Liquid Bottle
Liquid Bottle Drinkware Cosmetics Wood

Still sorting through my targets and got a little slowed down due to Thanksgiving. Will post more when I have sorted through them.

Edited - Looking closer at that 30-06 round with the cracked neck, it appears that I probably got that from Diamond K Brass. They sell some brass that Remington used as test rounds and the pressure trace mark is clearly visible just below the neck.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay...sorted through my best targets. Even with the wind I was able to shoot this 25-06 target @ 300 yds. I was gifted these bullets by a buddy near Austin. We made a trade and I think I came out ahead. He said I would never go back from them. He might be right.

Cloud Sky Table Outdoor bench Wood
Wood Font Rectangle Handwriting Gas

My best in my 9.3 was the 270 gr. Speer round. It seemed to be a bit sharper than the 285 even though they were both loaded to ~2200 fps. Probably just a mind thing. It was not bad, but I wouldn't want to shoot 50 or so in a day. :D

Rectangle Wood Font Gas Post-it note

1 - 10 of 10 Posts