Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you hunt with these bullets does the tip fall of when they hit a deer or do you end up with plastic fondue in your hamburger.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Gets driven back into the bullet core and then from there will mush out with the rest of the bullet as it mushrooms. That portion usually gets cut out and tossed with the shot damaged meat.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
I shot a few critters with 180gr Ballistic Tips in my .30-06. Found that the green plastic tip penetrated farther than any of the rest of the bullet. Usually found it stuck in the rib meat on the opposite side from the entrance hole.

Remarkably, they don't seem to deform at all.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I agree with the above, but the worst of it is the copper jacket shrapnel!, you'll find it several inches from the hole.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I use ballistic silvertips from Winchester in my 270 and never had a problem. Last deer I shot I found the bullet lodged in the hide on the other side. It was pretty complete.

·
Registered
620 Posts
In my experience the tip usually separates from the bullet because it is just basically placed in a hollow point bullet tip. I don't know how they secure them but the usually separate on expansion. Like said previously, I would rather bite down on a plastic tip then a piece of lead. Also they are usually fairly easy to see in the meat due to their many different colors.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've shot dozens of deer with BTips, and the only plastic I remember finding was near the entrance wound. It probably depends at least in part on the impact velocity and construction of the particular bullet used.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Its strange to have so many different experiences with the Ballistic Tip. I've had all three (explosion, pass through, perfect mushroom recovered), but never recovered the plastic tip.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I cannot get good groups out of the accutips or ballistic tipped ammunition with my Sendero 300RUM. I shot a whitetail in MN this past fall with some 180 Rem Accutips in a level II and it had significant meat destruction. It was a shoulder shot and the exit was not pretty.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
if i get the chance to hunt ..some big doe or something is gonna tell me
if my 30 30[w leverolution rnd] is a deadly with this rnd,,as its in a completely different class as to accuracy an distance shooting..slim

·
Registered
410 Posts
if i get the chance to hunt ..some big doe or something is gonna tell me
if my 30 30[w leverolution rnd] is a deadly with this rnd,,as its in a completely different class as to accuracy an distance shooting..slim
That's why it didn't bother me to go into the woods with them. The shot was 75 yards and it was level II load.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts