Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke out my old stevens mod 120 single shot 22 today. I bought some winchester super x high velocity ammo. It says it's plated. Can anyone tell me what it's plated with? Will it wear out the barrel, effect accuracy or power? I also bought a cheap tasco scope for $7.00...wow what a piece of junk..I guess it's worth every penny I spent. How much do I need to spend on a scope for this 22?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Winchester SuperX is Copper plated. I've shot lots of it without issue, although I prefer CCI Mini Mags, Stingers and HV Shorts for the hunting I do, depending on the gun. I also shoot a lot of Federal Lightnings unplated since I got thousands for cheap many moons ago when a shop closed here. I would recommend the following scope and at the sale price at the Sportsman's Guide, I think it's a good bargain. There is also a 32mm version of this scope I believe, but it's closer to 140 bucks. Good luck. I don't think you will have any issue with the SuperX if your gun will digest it ok. I'd recommend trying a few of several types, but recommend avoiding Remington as they are pretty dirty ammo in .22 lr. ;)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bsa-sweet-22-3-9x40-mm-scope-matte-black.aspx?a=644012

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have been thinking about that one myself, it is real tempting. Though with my eyes and expecting to shoot at dusk or dark, I think I might get something with illumination.

I have looked at a lot of plated, they all seem to be copper plated or cooper washed.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Will it wear out the barrel, effect accuracy or power?
How much do I need to spend on a scope for this 22?
I doubt you have the time, and these days, the money, to wear out a barrel shooting plated bullets. I have a couple barrels that have been in continuous use for 20-30 years, the majority with Winchester and Remington HS plated bullets. They have no visible wear, and shoot as well as ever.

I have always put decent optics on my rimfire rifles. My 10/22 wears a Leupold 2X-7X Rimfire scope, and my 77/22 VBZ has a Nikon 2X-7X Prostaff Shotgun Scope. Both scopes are paralax adjusted for 75yds. Both are powerful enough to see as far as you can shoot a .22LR. My Daughter has a Weaver on her 10/22, and the 2X-7X is clear and easily focused. The Nikon and the Weaver can be had for < $150. Tasco, BSA, and Bushnell have scopes for about half that, and sometimes the reticles are even in the center of the field of view.

·
Registered
547 Posts
All the BSA's I've used have been very good. Several Barska scopes that I've looked through have been very good optically also, although I don't own one yet. I have heard of a few of the Barska's breaking under magnum level or high cyclic rate centerfire usage, but never on a .22. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts