Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 - I am in the process of building a Ruger 10/22...

2 - I just got in my new stock - a Boyds SS Evolution, since I am left handed...

3 - The action is "black" and the barrel will be bead blasted stainless steel...

4 - Now here is what I need help in deciding. The barrel that I am going to "screw" into the receiver after threading is 1.062" in diameter (1 1/16"). I also know that I am going to be fluting the barrel and adding a muzzle brake to the barrel but, what I would like your help with, is deciding on what barrel length to go with. Please give me your imput on BARREL LENGTH for my new Ruger 10/22...

Thank You,

A

·
Banned
612 Posts
The short answer is to slug the bore and cut it where it is tightest (of course after the obligatory minimum 16" barrel length).

Good luck with the Green Mountain barrel. I had one put on a Marlin .22 of mine and it shoots quite well. So you know, you can spend $15 more and get an Anschutz barrel blank. While both should be much better than the factory Ruger barrel, I would bet on the Anschutz outdoing the GM barrel.

What chambering are you planning on going with?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
David,

You mentioned the barrel will ported and fluted...that also has me wondering what the chambering would be? :)

If it's going to be fluted, does that mean you're trying to reduce some of the barrel weight and get a better balance for the overall gun? If that's the case, I would go with ~20 inches, or whatever makes the gun balance well.

God bless,

Jason

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ekoch424 - this is not a Green Mountain barrel. It is one of my old 4-groove barrels that I made back in the mid 1990's. One of my buddies offered one of these barrels back to me in exchange for a little work from me. The barrel has never been chambered or threaded....

Jason - I will flute the barrel but, I am not going to port it. I will be adding a muzzle brake to it with "tapered" threads. By doing this, it will allow me to be able to create a choke or "tight bore" for the last 2" of the muzzle. Yes, fluting will also be to reduce weight for better ballance....

Sinbad12-2007 - with everyone saying 20", that may be the length I go with....

As far as the "chamber" goes, i't's not a .22 Bentz, .22 Match or other factory reamer. It is my own personal reamer that I ground to my dimensions. This barrel will be the first one chambered with it....

God Bless,

A

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Can you give us any hints what this new cartridge would be? What round would you expect it to compare with, in terms of case capacity or performance?

·
Banned
612 Posts
Ahh I see... I assumed it would be a GM blank from the 1.062 diameter.

Can you explain a little more as to how you plan to reduce the bore diameter with tapered threads at the end?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back in the 80's and 90's, when I was making .22 lr barrel blanks for the TEAM CHEVY CHALLENGE, I was the only one out there that I was aware of making 4-groove barrels with a muzzle diameter of 1.062"...

By threading the last 2" of barrel with a tapered thread and threading a muzzle brake on, with an internal threaded taper as well, when the brake is screwed onto the barrel and cranked down tight, it does in fact create a choke in the last 2" of barrel. This is something that I got into doing back in the mid to late 80's and it has proven to be very beneficial to top accuracy....

A

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Go over to my other favorite forum... Rimfirecentral.com. They have a whole section just on 10/22's. One for stocks, one for actions. They have anything and everything to do with 10/22's, and plenty of knowledgeable guys to help you with your project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts