Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe went down a half hour ago. I went to Arlington, where I go to school, to meet a couple of buddies on one of their family's land. Okay, so our initial goal was to go coyote hunting, so we did. Well, we didn't see anything. So we went back to the trucks and got out shotguns to go rabbit hunting. A couple hours later, and a couple bunnies later, and we're on our way out, when we spot to blaze orange dots coming at us. We hid in the tall grass with guns ready and waited. They walked right past us and we stood up and started walking behind them. They didn't hear or notice us until we yelled "HEY!" they turned around and we told them to get out, and they did. So we went out separate ways. We then ducked into some more high grass and took off our blaze orange and waited for them to leave. Well, they turned and thought we were gone and started to come back. :eek: So Troy, the buddy on my right pops up and fires a shot over their heads. I have never seen two teenagers run so fast, but the best part was when they hit the depression :D It's basically swamp area and they both went head over heels into the swamp. So we then called the game warden :rolleyes:

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good, I love a happy ending. Poachers and people who think they can go on private property are scum.
Things is my buddies have kicked these two out of the property before

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am surprised the Game Warden didn't give your buddy a stern talk or worse for firing a shot over their head. If someone were to intentionally fire at me I would return the favor and make it count.

Not that I have a soft spot for poachers, I deal with them on my property all the time but you do have to use common sense when dealing with them.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am surprised the Game Warden didn't give your buddy a stern talk or worse for firing a shot over their head. If someone were to intentionally fire at me I would return the favor and make it count.
If you did that not only would you be charged with trespassing but attempted murder which would be worse because you weren't on your property, and my buddy had every right to pull the trigger, because he was armed

·
Registered
547 Posts
Poaching is a serous problem around here to. And unfortunately to poachers don't stop poaching because you told them to stop.

When I was a small child we lived on the family farm out in the middle of nowhere. Hunting season was always a problem. One day we heard gun shots and assumed a deer was shot a few miles away (noise travels in hollers). About 45 minutes later a truck full of men with rifles pulled into our driveway and began looking for a deer on the property. Two blasts from the old 20ga was apparently more trouble than the deer was worth.

Reactions: ese927

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poaching is a serous problem around here to. And unfortunately to poachers don't stop poaching because you told them to stop.

When I was a small child we lived on the family farm out in the middle of nowhere. Hunting season was always a problem. One day we heard gun shots and assumed a deer was shot a few miles away (noise travels in hollers). About 45 minutes later a truck full of men with rifles pulled into our driveway and began looking for a deer on the property. Two blasts from the old 20ga was apparently more trouble than the deer was worth.
Exactly why my friend fired :cool:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

Not that I have a soft spot for poachers, I deal with them on my property all the time but you do have to use common sense when dealing with them.

+1 agree with this !! Isn't Ohio a Duty to Retreat State, they don't have a Castle Law or Stand Your Ground Law which means you and your buddies by law cannot do what he did on a piece of hunting property. If Troy or his family lives there on a full time basis and it's their permanent address then maybe, and only maybe you can do that. But, A Duty to Retreat means you literally have to be pinned down, cornered, with absolutely nowhere to go before you can use deadly force. If their walking across an open piece of property and y'all sneak up behind them that's in fact the opposite of what the law says you can do. Even if I'm wrong about this I still wouldn't want to accidentally kill a kid or put out an eye even, freak accidents happen all of the time. I'm as much against poachers as any and would have called the Game Warden first, tried to get a plate number and with every kid and adult in the country almost having cell phones which means everyone has a camera also I'd take a picture of them or the vehicle they are in. Let them go to jail and lose their guns and hunting privileges. JMHO !!

·
Registered
620 Posts
You sure do lead a very exciting life....

Reactions: mjyeagle

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure do lead a very exciting life....
Alright I've had enough of you. You come out to me and live with me for a day, and you'll see that I'm telling the truth. And if you decline, then you have no reason to keep questioning what I do, how I do, and IF I do :mad:

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 agree with this !! Isn't Ohio a Duty to Retreat State, they don't have a Castle Law or Stand Your Ground Law which means you and your buddies by law cannot do what he did on a piece of hunting property. If Troy or his family lives there on a full time basis and it's their permanent address then maybe, and only maybe you can do that. But, A Duty to Retreat means you literally have to be pinned down, cornered, with absolutely nowhere to go before you can use deadly force. If their walking across an open piece of property and y'all sneak up behind them that's in fact the opposite of what the law says you can do. Even if I'm wrong about this I still wouldn't want to accidentally kill a kid or put out an eye even, freak accidents happen all of the time. I'm as much against poachers as any and would have called the Game Warden first, tried to get a plate number and with every kid and adult in the country almost having cell phones which means everyone has a camera also I'd take a picture of them or the vehicle they are in. Let them go to jail and lose their guns and hunting privileges. JMHO !!
In no WAY did we use deadly force. We were not intending to kill

·
Registered
927 Posts
Firing a shot over someones head IS using deadly force! The only legal thing one can do in this situation is call the law. One cannot justifiably commit a felony while enforcing a misdemeanor that he/she has no authority to enforce. Shooting at or near a person with the intent of a show of force is a felony in most every state. The names change: brandishing a weapon, wreckless endangerment, assault with a deadly weapon, etc...., but the laws are there.

Many years ago some dove hunters were hunting along the edge of a field in El Centro, Ca. The owner came out yelling at them to get off his property. The owner made the mistake of firing a round in their general direction and they returned fire, killing the owner. The D.A. refused to charge the hunters, they were acting in self defense.

People don't understand that the private citizen cannot use deadly force to protect property. Unless you are in Texas and it is during the hours of darkness (if that law is still in existence).

Allen

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Dogsong Sometimes the saying " Slowly slowly catchee monkey " is the best bet. Initially in this situation a call to the game warden and the police , maybe stating that you believed these people were armed and you feared for your lives would have been the sensible move. Having seen such a response whilst on a ranch in Texas, I thought the next on the scene would have at least been a detachment of Marines or Special Forces. Game Wardens and Police did not mess about with the trespassers and they were not armed or hunting, just climbing on the mountain.
Firing a shot was not the way to go and could have gotten you all in a whole lot of trouble.
Don't think anyone on here is trying to put you down. Some replies here are from ex law officers, such as myself who have learned a lot of common sense over the years since we were youngsters like yourselves and believe me we all had to learn as well, sometimes the hard way.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The thing was that if we did call the warden, the closest warden is a half hour away, and those guys would have been gone if they saw us on the phone because they were watching us

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
"and those guys would have been gone if they saw us on the phone because they were watching us"
Isn't that the point to get them to leave??? Follow them out and get a plate#.

As was stated above firing in their direction is considered deadly force in most localities because the trespassers won't know that it was aimed over their heads. They would have every right to defend themselves with deadly force at that point. At that point if your buddy was shot the poachers probably wouldn't be charged with anything more than trespass, if your buddy shot back he most certainly would be charged if he hit someone.

I caught a poacher on some lease property once waaay back in the middle of nowhere several years back. I had a muzzleloader pointed at the ground, he had a pump shotgun that he promptly pointed at me. He had been caught several times before and we had threatened him with arrest the next time we caught him. You could really see the wheels turning in his head while he was trying to decide what to do. I just made light of the situation and asked him how the hunting was and said I think he might have wandered onto our property by mistake (he was 2 miles into our property). I told him some of the other hunt club members were on the property (I was the only one there that day) and were looking to make an example out of trespassers. He took the shotgun off of me and said he didn't realize he was trespassing and thought I was a poacher (total BS because he had to cross two fields to get onto our lease). From that day on I always carry a pistol when hunting alone.
Using deadly force should always be the last choice, even if you are in the right it can destroy your future emotionally and financially.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Police, Highway Patrol, Sheriff ....if this had occurred in the UK, with a report of armed trespass and a likleyhood of the complainant being assaulted, there would have been a helicopter overhead within minutes and closely followed by an armed response team. Some walker on public footpaths which run across most of our countryside here, reported a man in camouflage skulking in a field with a gun. The response was full heli/armed team turn out and a law abiding pigeon shooter was arrested in his hide where he was legally allowed to be and led away in handcuffs. Now this is in Good Olde England, not the USA, where I would have expected a ten fold response.
Did you call Police, Sheriff, Highway Patrol, Game Warden prior to firing the shot ??????????

·
Registered
620 Posts
Alright I've had enough of you. You come out to me and live with me for a day, and you'll see that I'm telling the truth. And if you decline, then you have no reason to keep questioning what I do, how I do, and IF I do :mad:
Got an address? I'd love to be a part of the posse.:rolleyes:

You don't need to feign outrage as I've got you pretty well pegged. You get your kicks making up stories to get a rise out of older men on the internet. If that turns your crank - go for it. Just don't get butt hurt when someone calls you on it.

Give my regards to Crazy Uncle, German Shepard/Coyote pack, and Bunny Poachers et al.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
This is getting personal.

We're dealing with a 17 year old youth who has a lot of growing up to do.

No, you don't shoot over the heads of people because they are alleged trespassers. Leave the shooting to Law Enforcement folks who are responsible for such things.

DogSong - your stories are being questioned by folks with a bit more maturity and experience. Challenging them out of hurt feelings will get nowhere.

This thread is verging on going closed.

·
Registered
547 Posts
These signs have been effective in our area at reducing poaching :D. The ones we have don't have the bottom print though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.